Menu
campbeji
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

How to send email to cancel services

Hi,

I spent the better part of an hour on the phone today trying to cancel my Virgin Media services, there are a few different reasons but no need to go into them here.  I got through to the Retention team, talked to them for ages as they tried to talk me into staying.  They eventually realised that I was leaving and then said they couldn't cancel the service as I wasn't up to date with my account, and the system wouldn't let them cancel.

I was then transferred to another team, payment collections I think.  I went through the same thing with him, got to the point where he also said that I can't cancel until my account is up to date, because the system wouldn't let him.  I told him that I couldn't bring my account up to date at the moment but He also said that it is in the terms and conditions.  My reply was that I wanted to have today registered as the date for the request for cancellation, I also asked for him to tell me where in the T&C's it says I can't cancel until my account is up to date.  He hummed and haahed a bit, made a few spluttering sounds and then hung up on me :-(  Not a happy bunny.

Finally to my question, Is there an email address for the customer retention team (or whoever) that I can use to send a message confirming that I want today to be registered as my request for cancellation date.

Many Thanks
Jim

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to send email to cancel services

hiya @campbeji no there isn't a email address for contact virginmedia not heard of the issues your having before regarding billing issues, just skimmed the T&C's http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services.html for anything that matches what the agents referenced

only advise i could give is to call back to Retention asking to speak to a manager, since the forum team don't get involved in cancellations
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi campbeji, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that you've been having an issue trying to cancel your account. 

If your services are still active but there is money owing on the account then we can take your cancellation request. 

If your services have been suspended due to non payment then the account would need to be brought up to date before we can set the account to cancel. 

As mentioned by paultechy, we don't have an email address. To cancel it needs to be done via the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111. 

Let us know how it goes and apologies to hear you're leaving. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
campbeji
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath_F,

Can you point me to the Terms and conditions where it says this, I have looked through them and can find nothing that says that if an account has been suspended that it can't be canceled.  I have no problem paying the outstanding amount, I just can't do it now.

Unless I see something in the terms and conditions to the contrary I will consider my notice as being effective from the date of my phone call.

I have enjoyed having the Virgin service over the years, however it has just become too expensive to continue, I have found an alternative service that is much cheaper and while it may not be quite as good (about 80%) it will save me a substantial amount of money.  There was also the issue of how the replacement of equipment was made and a few other things, but on the whole I will miss my TIVO.

Thanks
Jim

0 Kudos
campbeji
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So, I phoned the Retentions team again, spent another fruitless 20 mins. 

I asked to speak to a manager, and was told that they were too busy and the best I could do was get a call back, and they might phone back in the next 10 days.

The guy I was talking too refused to accept my request for cancelation, said that he couldn't process it till I had made a payment on the account to bring it up to date, as the account is suspended.

I pointed out that the cancelation process in the T&C's says I need to phone and give 30 days notice, it doesn't mention the state of the account.  He didn't seem to understand and the more I tried to explain it to him to more insistent he got that the wasn't going to process it.  It all got pretty heated, I just couldn't seem to explain to him that I had the right to cancel under the T&C's, half the time he was just talking over me, didn't seem to be listening.  Eventually he hung up on me while I was speaking.

Not the worst customer service I have had, but in the top 3.

So I am now in a position where as far as I can tell I have given notice to cancel (on the 15th) but it has been ignored by Virgin Media.  This means that I will disconnect my equipment and put it in a safe place.  When I can afford to I will pay my bill up to the end of the 30 days.  At that point Virgin Media will continue to send me bills which I will refuse to pay.  When I pay the account up to that 30 days I will phone again to remind them that I have canceled the account with notice on the 15th, however I am pretty sure that this stupid rule they have will still prevent them from processing it.  

I'm quite sure this will probably end up in court.  Not sure what I can do about it.  If any one has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Jim

0 Kudos
campbeji
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry,

I meant to say that the only thing I could find in the T&C's about canceling was this 

In addition to your rights to cancel during the cooling off period, either you or we may end this agreement at any time (including during or at the end of any minimum period) by giving the other 30 days' notice.

It is in section M9.  There is lots of other stuff in Section M about canceling but is only relevant to contracts in the cooling off period or within contract period, neither relevant to me.

Thanks
Jim

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi campbeji

Thanks for popping back to us with your query around the T's&C's

I'm trying to get a bit more clarification around this for you and I'm just waiting on some feedback on this for you.

I hope to be able to pop back early next week with an update for you.

Kind regards and speak soon.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi campbeji

Thanks for allowing us the time to get back in touch with respect to this.

We would still take the notification of cancellation but not via the Retentions teams if there is an overdue balance on the account and the account is currently restricted due to an outstanding balance. If you contact us via 150 or 0345 454 1111 and ask to speak to our Collections team, they will make the arrangements for you and also offer any support they can with respect to the balance remaining on the account. Please bear in mind that it would still be 30 days notice, and I will update the account to show this should be taken from the initial day you called to notify us of this, and that any balances on the account up to the end of the 30 days notice period, including any balances brought forwards from previous bills, will still need to be paid.

Let us know how you get on.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
campbeji
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen_A,

Thanks for that.  However when I phoned up the person from the collections team, initially refused to process the cancellation, Same issue as before.

I then explained the situation, not that she was really listening, but she said the best she could offer was to request a voluntary disconnection, but that it would only be effective from today.  I explained that you had let me know that the details would be on the account as mentioned in your message above.  Her reply was that there was no entry on my account from you and that I should just get you to process the cancellation.

She told me that there was no way she could process this from the 15th August 2016 (the first day I phoned up), she also said that I can't cancel unless my account is up to date and that it doesn't matter what it says in the T&C's.

I have noticed that on the three occasions now that I have phoned that the representatives I have spoke to have been very agressive once I mention that I want to cancel, it almost seems that my change in circumstances is being taken as personal insult to them.  I have spoke to Virgin Media staff on many occasions and they have always been polite and helpful in the past, but not now.

I don't think I want to phone up again, If you can't sort this out for me online I think I will just write to the complaints department and work from that.

Thanks for your help Karen, I do appreciate it.

Jim

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi campbeji, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. 

As per my post and Karen's, whilst there is restriction on the account, you'll not be able to put in your 30 days notice. We can only take this is there is no restriction on there. The Collections team will be able to take the payment from you and sort the disconnection. 

We're not able to do cancellations via the Forum which is why we've not offered to do this. The team via the phones are aware of this too. I can see notes on your account from Karen though so unsure why the agent you spoke to was unable to see them. 

When a restriction is on the account, if payment isn't made it will eventually cancel the account so I'm thinking this is what the agent meant by voluntary disconnection. 

I know this post is more or less repeating what you already know but it's all we can advise. 

Apologies. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos