Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 35 (138,894 Views)

How to cancel Virgin Media contract?

Hi there, I need some advice please on how to cancel my Virgin Media contract (broadband, basic TV, landline, had it over 10 years, price going up constantly).  I've tried calling the helpline but I just get a salesperson trying to persuade me to stay, and I can't seem to get past that (they won't accept my instruction to cancel over the phone or tell me how to do it).  It's very annoying and I just want a stress-free way to do this.  I'd just like an e-mail or postal address where I can give notice and get rid.  I'm paying £74 a month for very basic, not very reliable services and that's far too expensive - I'm having to cut back.  I don't want to switch; just cancel.  Clearly they don't make it easy for customers to do this - so any tips would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Superuser
Message 5 of 35 (277,723 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by AdeinScotland
‎17-02-2017 15:21

Re: How to cancel Virgin Media contract?

are you sure you are getting to retentions and not just customer services - retentions will always try to offer you a better deal but if you insist on giving 30 days notice they will accept - you might get a few calls afterwards try to get you to change your mind by offering even better deals but no should be enough

there is no email address [go figure] the postal address is on the website but they are not the best at replying - be sure you get to retentions

Tony

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Superuser
Message 2 of 35 (138,891 Views)

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

Tony
Tuning in
Message 3 of 35 (138,883 Views)

Thanks Tony,

That's what I've been doing, but the staff I've spoken with won't take a simple request to cancel.  They are geared up to persuade customers to stay, and will not action a cancellation.  That's left me stuck.  Is there a postal address / e-mail address to which I can simply send written notice of cancelling?

All the best,

Ade

Superuser
Message 4 of 35 (138,874 Views)

I can't accept that is what happens and, in fact, there have been people on here complaining that retentions accepted their cancellation without trying to convince them to stay.

Phone 150. Take option 1 initially, then options 4 and 5 and simply say you wish to cancel.

Superuser
Message 5 of 35 (277,724 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by AdeinScotland
‎17-02-2017 15:21

are you sure you are getting to retentions and not just customer services - retentions will always try to offer you a better deal but if you insist on giving 30 days notice they will accept - you might get a few calls afterwards try to get you to change your mind by offering even better deals but no should be enough

there is no email address [go figure] the postal address is on the website but they are not the best at replying - be sure you get to retentions

Tony
Tuning in
Message 6 of 35 (138,857 Views)

Thanks Tony and Ernie; I'll give this another try.  I'd tried 4-5 times and found staff enthusiastic but ultimately obstructive.  I'll persevere as it seems to be the only way.  Thanks for the quick advice.

Joining in
Message 7 of 35 (138,611 Views)

I have had/am having same problem. Prices going up crazily. Keep being told what a wonderful upgraded faster service I'm getting, when all I want is the basic. Sooooo difficult to find someone to talk to about cancelling order. Doing it from abroad so expensive phone calls and NO option for emailing.

Calls on queue, passed from one department to another, each wanting same ID information, often plus something else like an area code which I have to go back to internet for, often starting the whole process again. I felt like I was in the I Daniel Blake movie.

Finally got through to the right person. My request was simple I thought. I stopped using virgin broadband service in Dec. Contract runs out in March so I accepted I had to pay them 3 months at £40 for nothing but wanted to be sure that the contract was cancelled for the end of March. To complete the process finally and stop all their promotion rubbish.

Was told it's not possible!!! If I cancel early I have to pay an early cancellation fee which will be more than just paying that bills.So I have to wait until 30 days before the end of the contract in order to do a normal cancellation. I said please just put it on record that I am finished with them. Can't do that because it's more than 30 days so it won't come up on the records. So would I like to go through the whole expensive phone experience at a later date.

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry. And all these phone guys treat you like you are stupid, not understanding their convoluted rules. Didn't know whether to feel angry with them or sorry for them. Felt like this is a modern version of highway robbery. Perhaps they are sitting there with masks and pistols!

Anyway, I'm hoping that if I cancel the direct debit with my bank after the final payment that will sort it? Is this true? Or will my highway robbers say I can't do that either without first giving 30 days notice even though the contract period has expired.

They say there is a web chat service. Can't find it! Is it there somewhere?

Joining in
Message 8 of 35 (136,990 Views)

I havenever  never posted a message like this but have to vent my frustration at trying to cancel my contract (pre installation) with Virgin. I note that Tony says he can not accept that this is whats happening but I have made numerous calls, been cut off (actually gave the rep my phone number and asked him to phone me back if I was cut off as it has happened before but he did not even try to acll back), been put back in the queue or just been put through to the worng dept only to have told my story and then be told I need the pre installation team to cancel can not get an answer when put through - even having waited 40 minnutes on hold several times. It really does seem impossible to cancel and I havnt even received any services yet - I want to cancel as the customer service has been shocking, came out to install to be told I was not connected and would be resolved in a week then got a date for 3 weeks hence - already been cut off by my previous provider and can no longer work from home (which is my biggest concern and inconvenience) - no resolution on bringing the date forward and seems impossible to cancel by phone. Have set up a new provider but have to cancel to reinstate my broadband but can not get through!

Just confirming all these stories as absolutely true and am quite shocked at the poor customer service.

Joining in
Message 9 of 35 (135,517 Views)

I am currently on the phone trying to cancel services I ordered yesterday.

Spend about 30min on hold at11:00am then another 30 minutes at 14:00. Then called for the third time and asked when is the best time to call and was told around 19:00.

I am now on the phone on hold for 15 minutes.

Its either they have too many people calling cancellation department and they can't keep up with the demand or they are deliberately making people wait.

Whichever it is I am glad I have changed my mind now.

Just joined
Message 10 of 35 (131,459 Views)

Your best bet is to go to a Virgin media

AdeinScotland wrote:

Hi there, I need some advice please on how to cancel my Virgin Media contract (broadband, basic TV, landline, had it over 10 years, price going up constantly).  I've tried calling the helpline but I just get a salesperson trying to persuade me to stay, and I can't seem to get past that (they won't accept my instruction to cancel over the phone or tell me how to do it).  It's very annoying and I just want a stress-free way to do this.  I'd just like an e-mail or postal address where I can give notice and get rid.  I'm paying £74 a month for very basic, not very reliable services and that's far too expensive - I'm having to cut back.  I don't want to switch; just cancel.  Clearly they don't make it easy for customers to do this - so any tips would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

high street store and cancel there