Menu
saffasmum123
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

House move cancellation charge

Another very unhappy customer! I have to move house as I lost my job yet I am being charged the full £240 cancellation fee although Virgin cannot offer the service at my new address. This is a disgusting clause in their contract which I will be seeking legal advice on. Has anyone else had the same problem? I will never use Virgin again and will be telling friends and family to avoid them too. I would happily pay the fee if I was cancelling through choice but this is simply a money maker for Virgin! Disgraceful!!

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: House move cancellation charge

Hi saffasmum123,

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are moving to an area that isn't cabled and therefore we're not able to transfer your existing services over to the new property.

When you sign up to a contract with us, you are agreeing for us to supply you with the services at that address for that time. As you are moving, you are technically breaking the contract. 

If you move to a cabled area, we are happy to transfer the services however this comes with a one off charge and a new 12 month contract. If you move to a non cabled area then we can set the account to cancel but this would invoke an early termination fee. 

You can speak to the team regarding the circumstances on why you're moving though as this could mean a smaller disconnection fee or a possible write off. You can speak to them on 150 / 0345 454 1111.

Let me know how the call goes.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Lots of people have the same problem and all providers have that clause in their contracts

0 Kudos
saffasmum123
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It doesn't make it any less wrong!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

with respect why is it wrong - its in the T & C's that non of us read - many if not all other providers have the same deal as does the gas and elec suppliers - i/we/you agree to the deal and then dont like it if the terms we agreed to bite us

its not VM's fault you are moving to a non cabled area - again we know or should do that VM unlike BT and most of the rest dont have total coverage

Tony
0 Kudos
saffasmum123
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I understand that is not their 'fault' - I am not apportioning 'blame'. I am trying to understand the cost! How do Virgin justify needing £240 off me when they are not supplying the service? This is to compensate them for the loss of the five months remaining on my contract, yet they will now lose thousands in future revienue form myself and members of my family who will not use them again. Are you suggesting that Virgin are in financial need that they could not waver these costs for genuine reasons of financial hardship? Would that put such a large dent in their profits? What they will lose in my future viewing costs and that of many members of my family after this results in tens of thousands so this is a very unwise business move on Virgin's part! You are incorrect about the 'others' having the same deal. The comparison is also not similar - other providers do not always charge such a high penalty or have such long contractual terms either so I feel justified in complaining about this service. Also, my gas and electricity suppliers would not be charging me for the gas and electricity I would have used if I stayed! That is a ridiculous thing to suggest. I am changing supplier of gas, electricity and water - none of them have penalty clauses or are charging me the full price of the service I will not receive! I always read the T & Cs - I am not stupid: I entered into the contract believeing that I would be a customer for a long time (7 years with Virgin already!) But I didn't expect to lose my job or be forced to move into an area that Virgin do not service. To be penalised £240 that I cannot afford with no hint of a waver or reduction, or even freezing the charge to allow me to improve my circumstances and return to Virgin when they lay the cable in the area in future - that is what I am complaining about.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi saffasmum123,

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are moving to an area that isn't cabled and therefore we're not able to transfer your existing services over to the new property.

When you sign up to a contract with us, you are agreeing for us to supply you with the services at that address for that time. As you are moving, you are technically breaking the contract. 

If you move to a cabled area, we are happy to transfer the services however this comes with a one off charge and a new 12 month contract. If you move to a non cabled area then we can set the account to cancel but this would invoke an early termination fee. 

You can speak to the team regarding the circumstances on why you're moving though as this could mean a smaller disconnection fee or a possible write off. You can speak to them on 150 / 0345 454 1111.

Let me know how the call goes.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

saffasmum123
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Lots of exploitation goes on - again, doesn't make it ok!!

Definition of an unfair contract: ' it causes a significant imbalance in the rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment to the consumer'

I would say that fits!

Just because these companies have these contracts does not make them fair. As said previously, I fully support clauses which stop people chopping and changing to get better deals, but in genuine cases of hardship and unexpected cases where the consumer can do nothing about to prevent the breach of contract, they should not be upheld. I cannot physically prevent my landlord from evicting me or have the luxury of choosing a property that is within Virgin's area of supply. There is no possible option for me to continue with the contract - in that case, even a reasonable cancellation charge would be acceptable. But £240!!! Really - if you are genuinely saying that for someone who loses their job and home (or others on here who have lost loved ones or been diagnosed with severe illness and had to move house) it is fine for Virgin to profit from that, you must be on commission with Virgin! Or just heartless..?

michprz
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

My elderly mother is in the same situation. She contracted Virgin a few months ago and has been delighted with the service, until now. For health reasons she has to move into a smaller property in an area where Virgin is not supported. She is now very upset to learn she has to pay a 240 pound cancellation penalty through no fault of her own. It seems grossly unfair, and I would say illegal,that Virgin include such a clause in their contracts if they are unable to provide total coverage. Like the other unhappy customers, I will also be spreading the word around friends and family so that everyone knows about this. It is absolutely disgraceful!

Tags (1)
HateVM1
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi KaithF,

We live in a digital world where every stage of life is surrounded by technology and fancy gadgets. I am sure you must be using netflix Google maps tomtom Facebook and 100+ items in a day to day life. Have you read all the terms and conditions for each device/gadget or services that you use. If you do thats awesome but in general world we don't.

I would like know - Who has given this rights to virgin or any internet service provide to decide that if you move to a non servicable area, you need to pay early termination charges? If you conduct a survey and ask every consumers about this, I am sure you won't get a single vote.

Everyone has ups and down in their life and they can't wait for their contract to be over and then move house. Yes you can fix up an amount and then consumer can leave but please for the sake of God, dont rob them.

In my case, if you can't reach every consumer, then don't show fake information on your site. Before moving to my new property I checked Virgin website and they mentioned that virgin broadband can be available but after I moved, they mentioned it's a non servicable area. Its not only happend with website but customer rep said the same thing. How will I deal with such fraud instances? Who will decide what is right or wrong?
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

michprz wrote:

My elderly mother is in the same situation. She contracted Virgin a few months ago and has been delighted with the service, until now. For health reasons she has to move into a smaller property in an area where Virgin is not supported. She is now very upset to learn she has to pay a 240 pound cancellation penalty through no fault of her own. It seems grossly unfair, and I would say illegal,that Virgin include such a clause in their contracts if they are unable to provide total coverage. Like the other unhappy customers, I will also be spreading the word around friends and family so that everyone knows about this. It is absolutely disgraceful!

No company can provide total coverage, try putting a sky dish on a listed building or getting a BT line if you move to Hull, and I'm pretty sure Virgins contracts have be written by lawyers who know contract law.