Menu
Salad_Fingers
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

High prices forcing you to leave?

Today I have given my notice to Virgin Media to cancel my subsription, due to the increase in prices and better deals to be had elsewhere.

I have been with VM for five years and this has been something I've been considering for some time.

I'm set to save myself over £300 per year very soon.

Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: High prices forcing you to leave?

I don't blame you.  Yet another price increase above inflation and the email I received tries to justify it by all the extra TV benefits I'll receive ... only one problem, I don't subscribe to VM TV ... Freeview  gives us all we need.   Oh, but they did promise me a speed boost later in the year with no new contract ... 70Mbps to 100 Mbps ...... big deal, such generosity.

VM have totally lost the plot.   Sky is looking very much more inviting with their customer loyalty deals.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
Salad_Fingers
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yep, we're going with 'an alternative' deal on the phone and broadband and will stick with the Amazon Fire TV stick and use freeview also. Even after paying for amazon prime, I'm still £300 per year better off and no slow degenerating Tivo box trying to force customers to pay to upgrade to a V6 box, which will also have built in degeneration and obsolescence to entice people to pay to upgrade to the next one.

0 Kudos
Robbiebob
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I been looking into this feel it's time as well been a few years as well with virgin but like most places they become complacent over charging what use to be value for money has soon change
0 Kudos
Sylviann60
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

When my current tv package is up in September I'm giving notice but as I pay yearly for line rental I'll have to wait til January  then I'll goto another cheaper supplier for broadband and phone use freeview and Netflix  it will save me about £250 a year virgin need to be m o 're competitive and look after loyal customers

0 Kudos
Robbiebob
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I couldn't agree more esp with the last bit of your post VIRGIN NEED TO LOOK AFTER THERE LOYAL CUSTOMERS. But think they hell bent on going the same way sky did a while back.
0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Salad_Fingers wrote:

Yep, we're going with 'an alternative' deal on the phone and broadband and will stick with the Amazon Fire TV stick and use freeview also. Even after paying for amazon prime, I'm still £300 per year better off and no slow degenerating Tivo box trying to force customers to pay to upgrade to a V6 box, which will also have built in degeneration and obsolescence to entice people to pay to upgrade to the next one.

Won't be long before the cable/satellite TV subscription is obsolete.  Give it two or three years and they will be giving it away.

I get Now TV(cinema & Entertainment) and Netflix and Amazon for about £10/month via a Roku stick that cost me £20, and  freeview gives me piles of channels for free.  My only justification for the cable tv is access to BT Sport and Premier Sports, but I suspect that that will disappear in the next year or so, especialy with FreeSports coming.  I could even add TV Player for less than £50/annum and get a pile more channels.  By comparison, it is at least £22/month for Sky Base pack and about £30/month for Virgin full house (harder to say with the bundling).  Also the streaming approach gives you multiroom for free, no need to pay for extra boxes.

You only really need fast broadband to get whatever you want.

0 Kudos
Salad_Fingers
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How do you get Now TV, Netflix and Amazon all for £10 per month?

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

the good old rate of inflation argument. as stated before, the current rate of inflation is made up of a basket of over 500 every day items. the rate of inflation percentage is what things went up last month.

virgin/sky/your local plumber are not part of this basket. if they choose to increase prices by say 1000 per cent they can. if the rate of inflation is 1 per cent it matters not. the railways are linked/capped with the rate of inflation, but unless sky/virgin/your local plumber are put into that 500 plus basket of items by the government, they can charge whatever they want. the rate of inflation is what the cost of basket items were the previous month, not what sky/virgin/your plumber should increase prices by the following month.

sky are due an increase. i did look at their 'loyalty' deal. the top tier, you have to be with them 15 years or nearly 5500 days. the lower tiers i was very unimpressed with. and as was pointed out to me on another forum, the loyalty programme could be withdrawn at any time. sky customers are already arguing as to why those on 5 years are left with little in terms of tickets etc because those with 8-15 years get more entries in the draw. i found it highly amusing reading the different forums.

0 Kudos