Menu
davecci
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi, is there a minimum depth that the cable must be under my front lawn.

Hi,

I have had my cable in for years, but never gave it much thought till i tripped over it the other day, from where it comes onto my lawn/property, it is on the surface and wondered if it could be put deeper or not... ?

And for those wondering, my wife dos the weeding and it was covered by 1" or so of soil, until recently...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hi, is there a minimum depth that the cable must be under my front lawn.

Should be 6 to 8 inches down (a spades depth) & should be in protective trunking. If its an old install I can pretty well guarantee it will have neither.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

There is no regulation that says it must be x amount but virgin try to bury it at a spades depth if possible

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Mine's an old install - in green sheathing and about 150mm deep.
Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

When I had a re pull a few years ago the new cable wasn't buried at all.  It is in green trunking across the edge of the garden.  A relatively common site around here.

wakey18
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'm pretty sure cables should be buried at least 1 foot deep

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Life shows that there is a big difference between what should happen and what does happen.  And we are not just taking about cable installations.

Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'm quite impressed with how deep our cables are.  I live in a private block of flats set well off the main road and we were one of the first areas to be cabled by Nynex.  The green conduit piping is buried a good 3 to 4 ft underground with deep brick inspection chambers where the cables take different routes around the block.

Each vertical column of flats then has its own smaller conduit splitting off and coming to the surface by the walls.  It provides great protection but proved a difficult pull when they needed to supply me with a new cable to the street cabinet.  The air was pretty blue that day I can tell you!   Smiley LOL

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Timwilky
Dialled in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

My install runs through green conduit on the surface of the garden (very attractive) and below the turf. I cannot have it hollowed tinned in case they break the cable.

Worse is where it crosses the concrete, they stihled a slot dropped the unprotected cable in that and brushed in some cement which then lifted with the first frost.

Shame. The indoor installer worked with me to get cable through my ducts. The cowboy that ran the cable to the house must have been on a job rate. No effort, quickest/baddest install.

If he had asked when they did the survey, I would have installed a duct for them. I keep thinking about pulling it back to the garden wall and routing it properly.

0 Kudos
Boston
Dialled in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

If my memory serves me correctly the people that installed my cable (Murphy's on behalf of N.T.L.) a long time ago it was about a foot deep with a strong tube around it to protect it from a spade, since the instillation the box on the wall has fallen to bits Smiley Surprised (replaced) but the cable still lives on. Smiley Very Happy

photo Image1_zps3vrvxc7k.jpg