Menu
kylestucon
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Help penalty for leaving

Not sure if I am in right place. Cancelled my package with no penalty due to price increase in November. The phone advisor asked if I wanted to keep my landline number and I said that I don't really use my landline much but I would keep it until I had arranged my phone/ broadband with sky. I rang up to cancel a few weeks ago as I had sky installed and hadn't bothered to port my number over. The advisor told me what my final bill would be bar the few calls I might make from cancelling to my 30 days notice. About half hour after I put phone down virgin rang me and said that I had left early as my phone was 18 months and my TVs was 12. I said I was told that I could leave penalty free due to price increase but they said that it was not true but I asked the advisor at the time and he said it would be fine. I would never have cancelled if I couldn't leave penalty free as now I will be paying for two landlines which I hardly use. Just got text off virgin for £85 and I am furious
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
kylestucon
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Help penalty for leaving

Hi Kathy,
Sorry for late reply as been in and out of hospital. Update is I have now received a default notice from virgin billing me for £84. I have read your post and know what you have printed makes sense, but when I handed by notice in advisor said to keep my phone on until I had got sky sorted. He never said that I had a limited amount of time to phone back and cancel my line rental and when I rang back to complain the next advisor I spoke to said in the notes it was noted that my line rental was 18 months and not 12 and could not be cancelled due to price increase. I said that since calls are recorded for monitoring purposes to play me the recording of them telling me that(asi would never of ordered phone and broadband off sky if I was going to have to pay for two as that would make no sense at all) but they said that it wasn't available. I wouldn't mind but was thinking of coming back to virgin for broadband for better speeds when sky contract ends but that has gone out of the window now. I am now waiting for a letter taking me to court for payment as have no way of paying. I have never had any problems in all the other times I have been with virgin but their customer service is shocking at the moment giving out wrong information
0 Kudos

All Replies
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Enter into a formal dispute with them by post (to the CEO's office). Be polite but let them know you are holding them to what you have been told (give dates so they can check call records which they prolly don't have but mention they can check their phone logs). Firmly tell them that you are not going to be treated like this and you are quite prepared to fight through the courts if necessary (whether or not you intend to is irrelevant).

The Citizens' Advice Bureau might be a usefule source of guidance rather than relying on the word of a defrocked ex-Superuser!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
kylestucon
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for quick reply. Will try writing to CEO, fingers crossed thanks x
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

And do make sure the letter is tracked for delivery.

It's all evidence.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi kylestucon, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you've had some issues when cancelling your services with us. 

When we issued the price rise letters, there was a period of time that you could cancel penalty free. If you had cancelled it on the phone call then it would have been done that way. From what you've written it sounds as though you called back a few weeks later after having Sky installed to cancel the services. 

This is more than likely why the cancellation charges have been billed. 

Since posting have you spoken to the team again?

Come back and let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
kylestucon
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Kathy,
Sorry for late reply as been in and out of hospital. Update is I have now received a default notice from virgin billing me for £84. I have read your post and know what you have printed makes sense, but when I handed by notice in advisor said to keep my phone on until I had got sky sorted. He never said that I had a limited amount of time to phone back and cancel my line rental and when I rang back to complain the next advisor I spoke to said in the notes it was noted that my line rental was 18 months and not 12 and could not be cancelled due to price increase. I said that since calls are recorded for monitoring purposes to play me the recording of them telling me that(asi would never of ordered phone and broadband off sky if I was going to have to pay for two as that would make no sense at all) but they said that it wasn't available. I wouldn't mind but was thinking of coming back to virgin for broadband for better speeds when sky contract ends but that has gone out of the window now. I am now waiting for a letter taking me to court for payment as have no way of paying. I have never had any problems in all the other times I have been with virgin but their customer service is shocking at the moment giving out wrong information
0 Kudos