Menu
thehideousshrew
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Getting an overpayment refunded

Paid an overdue bill that was two months worth and then decided it would be best to set up a direct debit. Did not realise that the amount for direct debit arbitrarily sets as the last bill and automatically sets it's own date. As a reult I have now overpaid by approximately 3 times the amount the bill should be. Called  the number given on the website for customer service: 03454541111 and discovered it goes nowhere. Then found number 0345454222 which led me around in circles on menus and cost me rather a lot of money to phone and couldn't actually get speaking to anyone about this. Is there another avenue to contact and ask for refund?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting an overpayment refunded

hiya @thehideousshrew welcome to the virginmedia community forum, the only other way would be using the online chat @ http://contact.virginmedia.com (using a pc/laptop) since the forum team cant deal with any billing query/refund, which will be in the form of a cheque
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi thehideousshrew

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums.

My apologies over the billing confusion regarding Direct debits and manual payments.

I have checked on the account for you and can see that you have paid everything manually as stated for the current billing.  Your Direct debit set up however would not have taken this money again, just to set your mind at rest, as you set this up after this current months statement was produced.

In order for our bills to request money from your account via Direct Debit the Direct debit has to be activated on our system before the bill is produced.

I can see you have since taken some action regarding this.  I'm going to send you a private message with a bit more information on this to help you out.  You can find this in the envelope next to your forum name.

It would be great if you can get back to me on this Smiley Happy

Speak soon

Karen

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Rutland
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

THanks. VM promise a cheque within 45 days.

0 Kudos
MinnsD
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello, I have had one manual payment come out of £50.99 and one debit for the same amount come out also.  I had the same issue that the previous person had and did not realise that this is how it worked.  Am I able to cancel my direct debit and just pay manually for what I use as this has become a bit confusing now?

Please could you also send me a refund for the over-payment.  I would prefer to be contacted via email than on a forum.  I do think that this should be made clearer as I had a bill come through, but had not yet received a confirmation of a debit being set up hence why I paid manually.  A quick response is appreciated.  Kind regards.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi MinnsD,

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you've been charged twice for the service.

When you have a direct debit setup, the payment will come out as planned even if you make a payment via quickpay. What happens is your account then goes in credit so you have less to pay on your next bill. 

Due to the time that has lapsed since you made the payment and the direct debit was taken, the option of speaking to your bank and claiming back the money that was taken via Direct Debit under the Direct Debit Guarantee isn't viable. 

I have sent you some information via PM regarding where to go from here. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Going forward, if you want to pay via Direct Debit then leave the payment go through. If you wish to pay earlier then you can change your payment date. You can also pay a little bit online before hand but make sure you call us 5 days BEFORE your direct debit is due to come out so we can amend it. 

Hope that helps.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
_dolyaa_
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have just had the  same problem, I overpaid by paying twice the amount i was suppose to pay. I paid via debit card and would like to be refunded the extra amount

0 Kudos