Menu
rockinr1ch
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Getting Rid Of The Redundant Landline.

I've been with virgin media since the NTL days and due to certain circumstances I need to tighten my belt a bit for a while. I downgraded my broadband to the 50 Mbps service and to be honest, have not noticed a difference. Since my two eldest kids moved out and my youngest is at uni I don't find the need for the higher speed service, so the 50 Mbps is just fine. I also downgraded my T.V. package and once again it is fine.

However, I was thinking of letting go of my landline to save a few pounds every month. One virgin media customer service adviser told me that this would be possible but 'they wouldn't like it much' and then put me through to another chap who insisted that I keep the landline. With the above mentioned changes, he knocked my bill down to £45 a month. He said he could have knocked it down another £5 if I renewed my contract for another 18 months which I am not prepared to do.

I have been looking at alternative suppliers and Vodafone, Plusnet and Talktalk could all do a slightly slower internet service at around £15-£20 a month cheaper and as I mentioned, I no longer have the need for a super fast broadband service.

Both me and Mrs. r1ch have Virgin Mobile contracts with more included minutes that we ever use and since the only calls I ever get on my landline are annoying sales calls, we have both agreed that we could do without the landline in an effort to save a few pounds each month. My landline is pretty much redundant and yet I am paying for it every month.

If you do an internet search for 'Broadband Without a Landline' , Virgin media is amongst the top results, so why do they insist that I keep my landline? I think I have had it with customer loyalty and I know that changing your email address is a pain in the backside, but I am seriously thinking of ditching Virgin and going to a provider who is more competitive, so, my final question to the virgin media employees who might read this topic is:- Do I have to have a landline or not?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting Rid Of The Redundant Landline.

No you dont. But dropping it will only save a few quid, NOT the line rental charge and put you into another 12 month contract..

50Mbps on its own currently costs £32.25 per month

0 Kudos
rockinr1ch
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just been on the phone again. Spoke to a lovely sounding northern lady who insisted that I was on the best deal possible. I did point out that the deal was no longer competitive, but she insisted it was the best deal ever. 

Like I said, customer loyalty seems to account for nothing and I am now looking at alternative suppliers. If I do change broadband suppliers, I may ditch my two virgin mobile mobile contracts, as both GiffGaff and EE seem to do better deals. Sorry Bransers, but I'm sure you will survive without the eighty five pounds plus a month I pay you for a next to rubbish services.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

rockinr1ch wrote:

Just been on the phone again. Spoke to a lovely sounding northern lady who insisted that I was on the best deal possible. I did point out that the deal was no longer competitive, but she insisted it was the best deal ever. 

Like I said, customer loyalty seems to account for nothing and I am now looking at alternative suppliers. If I do change broadband suppliers, I may ditch my two virgin mobile mobile contracts, as both GiffGaff and EE seem to do better deals. Sorry Bransers, but I'm sure you will survive without the eighty five pounds plus a month I pay you for a next to rubbish services.

So were they wanting to charge you more than  the 32.25 quoted above?

0 Kudos
rockinr1ch
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There was no mention of that price. If I wanted it cheaper (they didn't say how much cheaper) I would have to have a slower speed broadband that was not unlimited and based on my usage I would go over.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So tell them thats the package you want to switch to. As an existing customer it IS available to you.

0 Kudos
rockinr1ch
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

They have just emailed me a new 12 month contract to sign. I was quite clear that I did not want to sign another binding contract and even if I did, it does not contain the £5 discount that they was trying to tempt me with.

I have has enough trying to deal with them this week, so will try again on Monday.

Cheers 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

rockinr1ch wrote:

They have just emailed me a new 12 month contract to sign. I was quite clear that I did not want to sign another binding contract and even if I did, it does not contain the £5 discount that they was trying to tempt me with.

I have has enough trying to deal with them this week, so will try again on Monday.

Cheers 

Thats the way it is (new contract), if youre not happy to extend your contract for 12 months, you aint going to be able to negotiate a discount.

0 Kudos