Menu
113mountdale
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Gamer Package - any information?

Hi

I read on these boards about a Gamer package which is available and may help XBox connections over the WiFi which keeps failing.

About to be sent a SuperHub3 but just wondered what this Gamer package is, and how much does it cost?

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gamer Package - any information?

Its just a package with faster upload and no traffic management. Im not sure why its called a gamer package as most games dont need high download and upload speeds, latency and wifi etc are the same as any other package
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gamer Package - any information?

The pricing is listed here: http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/compare.html

jb66 wrote:
Its just a package with faster upload and no traffic management. Im not sure why its called a gamer package as most games dont need high download and upload speeds, latency and wifi etc are the same as any other package

If you're someone who downloads a lot of game then having a bigger download helps a lot. I.E. downloading at 25Mb/s on the game package to say doing that on a the 50Mb package which will click around 6Mb/s tops - big games download in minutes on the gamer package compared to an hours+ on 50Mb.

The increased upload allows you to stream at higher quality and still have room for all your team speak etc type comms and web cam stream at the same time. So if you stream to Twitch/YouTube/Stream gaming in general, the bigger, uncapped upload rate will help out a lot there.

It won't however fix the WiFi problems the OP is having, they need to switch to using Ethernet. Or if not possible, buy a high end cable router and at least one pair of 1Gb power lines.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos