Menu
Kerry86
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Freeview after cancelling package

Hi all,

I have had to reduce my package with Virgin as I cannot afford it anymore. I have open for broadband only and no tv service. Virgin have a advised that I don't not need to return my TiVo box so I am wondering if I can get freeview channels through that and still use the recording feature and Netflix channel.
My tv does have freeview and I do have an aerial cable but I am only picking up a handful of channels that way. I also have to cast Netflix to my tv from my mobile so if I can continue to use the TiVo box it would be much more convenient!
Appreciate any advice.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Freeview after cancelling package

This advice is easy. No you cannot. VM will have terminated the TV feed. Aerial and a new Freeview box required. If you have an Netfix sub you'll be able to watch on your PC.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Kerry86
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So I guess I need to enhance the aerial on the roof then to pick up more channels. That's a shame, was hoping there would be an convenient solution 😀

What do you mean by Netflix sub?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Netfix subscription! What you pay to watch.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Kerry86
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry! Obviously I have a subscription hence being able to cast from my phone.
Thanks for you help
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

type your postcode into any of the freeview reception checker sites and it will tell you what channels you can expect to get with a good aerial

e.g. https://www.freeview.co.uk/channels-at-your-address

if not happy look at having freesat installed instead.

either solution requires some up front money , for the aerial or the satellite dish, but free thereafter.

your other option is now TV which is delivered via internet for a small monthly fee, but quality is not as good as what you had via tivo

to get netflix on tv ( assuming you don't have a smart TV with it built in- ) you can use a cheap plug in device like fire tv stick, roku, or chromecast.

your existing " "netxlflix sub" i.e. your Netflix subscription,  gives you Netflix on any device you own so long as you keep up the monthly payments. that is a contract between you & Netflix, nothing to do with Virgin ( even for watching on Tivo) 

0 Kudos
Kerry86
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for response.

My tv doesn't have Netflix built in no, but I do have a Chromecast.
If I was to buy a freeview box with a built in recorder would it still pick up freeview channels via the aerial cable or does it do it some other whizzy way?

I have checked what channels are available at my postcode but I'm not getting anything near what I should be.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Kerry86 wrote:

I have checked what channels are available at my postcode but I'm not getting anything near what I should be.

Thanks

You may have to rescan your freeview receiver to get all the channels available.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Freeview is delivered via an aerial

Freesat is delivered via a satellite dish

now TV is delivered via the internet

the suggestion of a rescan to see what channel then get picked up is excellent - no cost and take only a few minutes

all the streaming boxes: Fire TV, Roku, chromecast are via the internet. the cheapest ones are wifi only and need a good signal at the TV location, for a little more you can buy a wired box and connect that to your hub. For multi-channel live tv they are not ideal, many of the catch-up apps ( all 4, 5, ITV hub are rubbish and not all channels have an app ). they excel at netflix, Amazon video, BBC i player..

PS Reliable Freeview recorders are suprisingly hard to find. expect to pay £200 for a humax or other quality brand. read the reviews there's nothing worse than a Freeview recorder that regularly fails to record?

0 Kudos