Menu
irfanaziz4
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Fraudulent Broadband account opened in my name

Hi All,

I moved out of my parent’s address in May 2011 and closed the Virgin Media Broadband that was in my name as I left.

In my credit report I can see a Virgin Media Account that was closed (with no defaults) on the 22/05/2015.

Now looking into my credit report in more detail - I can see a defaulted account for £79 that went into default on my credit report on the 30th September 2012 (a time when I did not live at that address) – this is shown as a separate line.

I called Virgin Media and got the following information:

- A new Account was opened in my name after I closed the original in may 2011 - date they cannot find

- Email address: a known email address of my brothers - not mine!

- Last 4 digits of the account Direct Debit - Not Mine - suspect its my brothers

- Last payment made: 14/05/2012

- Disconnected: 31/08/2012

Now I have moved out of the address since May 2011 - another account was opened in my name without my approval but the email address and bank details used belong to someone else.

I've tried getting through to Virgin Media to explain this is not my account, investigate and move it over to the right person and remove from my credit report - but I'm getting no luck.

My initial call was on 30/03/2016 now 8 months later nothing has moved forward.

Who can I contact @Virginmedia to get to the bottom of this as it is affecting my credit history!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fraudulent Broadband account opened in my name

Hi irfanaziz4

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch about this account issue.

I appreciate you letting us know that, given what you have said, your brother appears to have set up an account in your name in the past that is linking to your credit file.

To get this sorted with us if you could send this to us in writing to our teams in complaints at our address listed on the link here - Contact Us , our teams can then start to support you by investigating this.

Once they have all the information you can supply to them i.e. dates, addresses, etc then they will be able to do what they can to support you.

Please keep us posted on how this goes.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Selina11
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I also have had issues with virgin media regarding an account opened with my name spelt differently and different date of birth but for some reason it is linked to my credit report. I contacted virgin media first by phone when I noticed the default on my credit report,was told to send evidence to an address in Swansea,sent a copy of my passport,proof that I had moved out of the address before  the account was opened,still no correspondence.This is really affecting my credit report  as it is a default since 2013.My question is how do virgin media come and install their services without checking the identity of the person  asking for the service.Next step is seeking legal advise as I have been more than calm and reasonable  about this issue.@virginmedia

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Selina11

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about this. I appreciate you taking the time to join us on the forums too and welcome to the community.

My sincere apologies that this has been an issue that has affected you for such a long time. I'd like to see what we can do to support you.

For me to take more information from you regarding this situation, if you could please get back in touch with me on the pm that I'm sending to you that you can find in the up next to your forum name.

If you could get back to me on this that would be great Smiley Happy

Speak soon.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

PWB5
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

We have also experienced a similar problem, that a "bogus" Virgin Broadband/media account has been set up, in my son's name, who lives with me at our family house. He has been very worried as he had received a letters requesting payment of £79 which then increased, he has made contact with your accounts/customer service department but has since received another demand for payment.
Our broadband service provider is BT and we do not have any service from Virgin, and is worried that his credit report will be affected by this situation. It would appear that like other people on here, he has possibly been the victim of some unscrupulous Virgin salesman creating a scam/fraudulent account to boost their customer numbers. Can you offer some advice please or should we seek legal guidance?

Regards

Paul
0 Kudos