Menu
bazmo45
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Faster broadband problem

I recently installed a new router to get download speeds up to 200bps but I was unable to connect my older but main PC (which was previously happily running on Windows Vista/Outlook 2007) to the net.

Vigin 'Gadget Rescue' said this was an insurmountable problem.and I now have the expense of getting a tech to transfer all my programmes and files to another device.

Any help out there?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Faster broadband problem

by new router do you mean new Superhub/hub or your oun router - if the formed then it sounds like a driver problem for the network card - check the make and go to the manufacturers site and download different drivers for the card - they may be older or newer that what you have now but may solve the problem

failing that you have other choices much easier than a new computer - you can add a new lan card - removing the old one or if its on board disabling it - you can add a usb wifi dongle

gadget rescue are way off with 'insurmountable' - that sounds like they have not a clue

possibilities are many and varied - a new pc is not one of them imo

Tony
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Faster broadband problem

-tony- wrote:

failing that you have other choices much easier than a new computer - you can add a new lan card - removing the old one or if its on board disabling it - you can add a usb wifi dongle

gadget rescue are way off with 'insurmountable' - that sounds like they have not a clue

like he said., ignore clueless support. FYI: transferring program etc to a new pc is not that hard, just make a list of what you have, set them up one at a time, google if stuck. outlook 2007 is tricky but doable. once you know what to copy and where to copy from.- to get your saved emails across

[ I did it recently for my wife's PC upgrade. got everything right except the nickname file that does the autocomplete when you start to type a send-to address. but google told me where to go find that so all was good in the end.

Or you can buy programs that take care of all of it. PC mover is one such program. there are others. - probably cheaper than a tech.

http://www.laplink.com/index.php/individuals/pcmover-for-windows/feature-overview

PCmover is the ONLY software that automatically transfers, restores, and upgrades all selected files, folders, settings, user profiles, and even applications from an old PC to a new PC or operating system, including Windows 10. And because most migrated applications are installed ready-to-use on the new PC, there’s usually no need find old CDs, previously downloaded programs, serial number or license codes. Find out which version is right for you...

0 Kudos