MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

FAO Virgin Team - Recent Account changes

Dear Virgin Media Team,

Account number: removed

Ok.. where do I start.

Since last year I have been facing very bad speeds in the evenings. Over the past 2 - 3 months I have been monitoring it far more.

Few days ago I put my 60 day notice in to cancel the remaining services I have and I called BT to start the process. To cut the story short I would need to go on to BT normal broadband first to get my address on the system and then I would from that point then arrange the upgrade to go on the fibre. 

I thought to myself the money and most importantly my time that I am putting into the new line getting fitted etc I could spend that on a bigger package to see if it helps my cause so I started a new contract on the gamers package (with the agreement I could change back to the hub 2ac) So the hub 3 arrived today and of course it wouldn't go online at all even for second line support team I am to the understanding.

So the technical team switched the MAC back to the hub 2AC and everything connected very well again.

For a couple of hours I done random speed checks and pings via CMD done the usual like DNS flushing etc however my download speed would not go past 90 so I thought no way am I paying for 200 and I only get 90.

So I called back today to cancel the gamers package under the cooling off period.

I really just want to make sure that my account is now back on the 100mb package with the correct loyalty discounts etc and that things like connection charges for the gamer package have been credited back to the account.

I would also like to receive the new contract or confirmation I have been placed back on my old ongoing contract and I can look at maybe upgrading again in the future.

Could you also confirm when I should receive the return pack so I can return the HUB 3 to you?

Thanks in Advance,

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

May the force be with you,

MOA.

HUB 2ac in modem mode, Netgear R7800 Router, a wee switch & NAS.

My Broadband Ping - MOA VM Monitor
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: FAO Virgin Team - Recent Account changes

If you are only getting 90Mbs tops regardless of the time of day then you are being limited by your hardware to a 10/100 connection.

Might be worth checking over your configuration to find the weak link.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi There,

All my connections are 1gigabit connections. I use CAT 7 rj45 cables. I am an IT infrastructure manager but I don't know everything I generally manage the team now.

My netgear router lights change colour if devices or connections are of a 10/100 connection as I am in modem.

The only devices on my home infrastructure that are of the lower standard is my tv and home cinema system.

Also during the day speed is fine it is only at night dood from 4pm to 1am. so that rules out my connections and confirms over utiliza goin in my area.

edit: here is a picture with my router indicating a 10/100 connection, the orange light. when my ps4 is in standby it drops from 1 gigabit to 10/100.

1489136588162-78710161.jpg

MOA.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for the extra information. You get above 90Mbs at off-peak then?

0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

90 during the day and 20 - 30 at night (download speeds) However last night I seen a bit of an improvement which is good.

MOA.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The night dips do seem to be over utilization. Fits the pattern.

Will urge you again to check all parts of your connection if 90Mbs is still the top you get out of peak. It's strongly indicating something isn't up to par.

0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I even unplugged my router and all devices and plugged only my laptop directly to the HUB 2AC, which is a 1 gigabit connection. Its the exact same speedwise on the wire, so deffo not any of my connections and more an area issue by the looks of it.

MOA.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Area issues won't be effecting speeds this time of day, they only effect you in peak times.

Have you checked software settings on the laptop as well? Making sure they are full duplex.

Don't want to keep bashing the same bush but you've got this giant finger pointing at something (not VMs end) limiting the connection to 90Mbs.

Maybe it's the laptops Ethernet controller itself? Definately gigabit and not FE?

0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

yup even done it on my friends alienware and I also have a connection tester to test the line and cables.

peak time in my area seems to be between 4pm and 1pm, when everyone gets in from work and is when I have my issues. I have seen 103 download speeds which used to be constant but now rare.

I also usually do a speedcheck directly from the router as netgear are in partnership with ookla so I don't need to use PC to be honest to do a wired speed test.

day speeds are fine its only in the evenings but as I say seen a big improvement last night even after switching my broadband back to vivid 100

MOA.

0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sorry Shafreya but you where totally wrong dood.

It was a VM issue, speeds back to around 103 - 106.

Thanks for all your ideas though.

MOA.

0 Kudos