Menu
JonJonJonJon
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ensure broadband contract does not auto renew?

My Virgin Media broadband 12 month contract is set finish on 16 December, and I want to ensure it is not auto renewed. How do I do that?

All I could find was a customer support phone number, but I'm not in the country and it will cost an absolute fortune to call it. Surely they are required by OFCOM to provide alternate ways of contacting them? (Web chat has always been busy or not available when I've logged into my account online.)

Will it auto renew if I don't do anything? I don't want to end up paying for broadband when I'm not even there!

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ensure broadband contract does not auto renew?

My understanding is that once your originally agreed contract period (often 18 months or 12) has expired you are still technically under contract with VM but only on a rolling 30 day notice to quit.

The Beware sign lurking in the shadows is if you have contacted VM to change any of your package content during that initial contract period because they will almost certainly start a new contract period, often without even bothering to tell you.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
JonJonJonJon
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

As the web chat wasn't working ("no agents available") I just called them up. 15 minutes and £30 (in international call fees from my non Virgin mobile) later it's all sorted.

Suffice to say, Virgin Media have not left the best final impression on me.

Why was it so complicated and why could I not transfer ownership of the contract or check a box to say it doesn't auto renew directly on the website?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi JonJonJonJon, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you here although we will miss you once you go Smiley Sad

In terms of your contract, there is no end date. Once your minimum term has passed, you go on a rolling contract meaning you can leave us at any time giving 30 days notice. 

The only time a contract will renew is if you change your package or negotiate a cheaper deal. On most occasions you have to agree to a new minimum term. 

We also regularly review our contact options to ensure our customers have the best experience as well as making sure they meet OFCOM / CISAS regulations. 

I'm glad you've managed to get things sorted. If you need any further help or advice then pop back and let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos