Menu
hotmog
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Email Address Inflexibility/Wastage

When I first registered for My Virgin Media, I used  ###@virginmedia.com as my email address. I subsequently set up an additional account ####@virginmedia.com, which I  decided I would rather have as the primary account. However despite trying various combinations of username/email address changes, I could find no way of effecting a switch. In the end, in desperation, I thought I’d try again from scratch and deleted the ####@virginmedia.com account.

Only then did I discover from searching the forums that once a primary account is created, its email address cannot be changed (why??). There’s nothing on the main web page to that effect. If I had known, I would never have deleted the additional account. But having now done so, I find I cannot even use the ####@virginmedia.com email address again for a replacement additional account, as that address is now not available.

Eventually I used ####@virginmedia.com for the additional account, but I would much prefer to do without the extraneous dot! The system allows me to change the username/email back to ####@virginmedia.com, but then Catch 22 kicks in – a verification email has been sent to the new address which exists somewhere in cyberspace, but I can no longer access - even though it was successfully set up on my email client – because of a password verification failure, though I am using the same password as when the account was originally set up.

Is there a solution?

I also found when attempting to create a new additional account, that on at least a couple of occasions I would enter a new username/email address and all the other relevant details, click the submit button, but nothing would happen. Going back to My Profile/Manage Accounts I could see that no additional account had been created. However when I tried to repeat the process using the same username/email address as before I would get an error stating that desired email address was now not available. On the second attempt, using a different email address, it would work, however the address used on the previous attempt was effectively now out of commission.

How many potentially usable, and desirable, email addresses are permanently wasted by this process, I wonder?

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Address Inflexibility/Wastage

Hi hotmog,

Thanks for coming to us for help with this, welcome to our Community Smiley Happy

I do apologise for any lack of information relating to the restrictions of the primary email account. These are intended to safeguard access to My Virgin Media, as only the primary login will enable changes to the account/email. 
However, any deleted email address will be isolated for a time to allow for reversal options. Thus I do have the option to restore your preferred email address for you, but shall need to clear DPA (data protection) first.
I'll send you a PM in a moment (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and shall resolve this as soon as I have your reply Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Address Inflexibility/Wastage

Hi hotmog,

Thanks for that. I've restored your email account successfully.

It should be accessibly anytime from 2 - 24 hours, it should also be visible in My Virgin Media (accessed via your primary account) under the My Profile > Manage Accounts tab.

Please confirm this is all in orderSmiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos