Menu
Artmoz
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Early cancellation fee for moving home.

Hello

I've recently moved home and despite wanting to keep using the fibre broadband service with Virgin Media I had to end the contract because they don't cover the new post code. I've seen that many people have been in the same situation and yes I understand it's not something that either of the two parts can really predict to be happening or control.

I've been on the phone and live chat with several team members from VM to try to understand what it was going to happen and to see if there was any way to reduce what it feels like an unfair and very high cancellation fee, if nothing else as a good gesture for being a loyal and happy customer. I know those things don't exist with this kind of services and all the chats I had with them didn't achieve anything.

Has anyone been in the same situation and is there anything that could be done to reduce this cancellation fee (I know about introducing friends could be an option, but do I really want my friends find themselves in similar situation)?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Early cancellation fee for moving home.

Hi Artmoz and welcome to the community,

I'm sorry to hear you're having to leave us due to a house move, I know how annoying these things can be at a chaotic time.

I'm afraid if you're leaving whilst still in contract with us then an early disconnection fee will be apply as per our terms and conditions agreed to when joining; you can view these here: http://virg.in/legals.

The early disconnection fee is worked out based on the level of service you have and the length of time remaining on your contract, you can find out more about this here: http://virg.in/EDF.

All the best,

Michael_JK
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
julieoakes
Joining in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Wow! I am in the same boat as I am moving shortly but Virgin is not available at my new postcode. This is really unfair as I would have continued with Virgin but it is out of my control. One unhappy customer wont be returning or recommending Virgin to anyone!

0 Kudos
Artmoz
Joining in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

It's crazy and totally unfair. If nothing they save money not providing the service anymore, but for us customers we have to feel like punished.

0 Kudos
ejm54
Joining in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I recently faced this situation of moving to an area where VM do not serve and had to cancel my contract prematurely. The way I resolved this was to give 30 days notice of my leaving VM which resulted in my not being charged the early cancellation penalty. VM will also keep your email service going for another 90 days after your cancellation date.

Good luck

ejm54

0 Kudos
Michelle012
Just joined
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Ejm54 how long did you have left on your contract?

I've gave them 30 days notice but there is still an £80 fee.
0 Kudos
Wendy44
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi. I have the same issue. Moved to an area where virgin media isn't avalible. I had to recently downgrade my package due to ex up and leaving, I wasn't told this would automatically enter me into a whole new contract! Been a loyal customer since virgin media first started! I'm not paying it, I refuse to feel punished for having to leave them! I've just lost my home due to financial difficulties which was out of my control. Il obviously pay what I owe from the rental side of things but I have never even signed a contract so the £200 they are wanting for early termination is just a pure insult and I will not be paying it.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

By using the Services you agree to the terms. If you claim you didn't agree to the contract you were getting the services illegally.

Changing the packages starts a new contact.

Contracts are for services at the installed address. If you move you are breaking that agreement.

All in the T&C you all never read.

Good luck with not paying. Hope the debt collectors don't impact new services at your new home.
0 Kudos
wez
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

The thing with early disconnection fees is it is not straight forward as some of you think.

Imagine it from a company point of view, if Virgin let customers leave without penalty when they move to a non-serviceable address - all customers who have to do to leave their contracts when they felt like it would be to find a postcode Virgin doesn't service and call up and say they are moving to there. Result the company would lose money, and the contracts would have to go up to cover this.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wendy44,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you're going through a rough time at the moment.

I would like to take a few more details about this if I can so I can log your dissatisfaction on your account. I will send you a Private Message.

Speak soon

Elaine

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos