Menu
Rose0410
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Downgrade/Leave?

I moved house in June 2016 and was (unknowingly) placed on a new 18month contract... I was wondering about what to do now... I can't currently afford to continue paying £46 due to financial circumstances, but I have almost 12 months left on my contract... Can I downgrade to get rid of the tv without it starting a new contract? Or should I get rid of the contract and start again with just broadband? Am I right in saying the maximum leaving charge is £240? I'm in a really awful situation :/ any ideas?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Downgrade/Leave?

Yes a home move recontracts you - as a contract is drawn up for services at a specific property, not the entire UK. Also, downgrading and upgrading would recontract you for 12 months and cancelling the contract early it would incur a early disconnection fee which caps off at £240. 

Whether you cancelled and rejoined or downgraded, you'll be in a new contract. So paying a disconnection fee when all you want to do is change to broadband wouldn't be worth the hassle or outlay in terms of cash and time. If you however were thinking of cancelling and switching to another ISP, then by all means cancelling with VM could maybe save you money in the long term - depending on what deal you signed up with another ISP and how big a difference there is between their introductory period and normal billing period.

+Add: If you however choose to just remove the TV services, it shouldn't change anything contractually. You would have to pay off the remainder for your TV service. But say if you did: remove TV+go to a slower broadband package that would be considered a downgrade and recontract you.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos