Menu
rjrowe
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Do i have to return superhub as well as TIVO?

Hi there,

When I cancelled my virgin package at the end of my 18m contract, I'm sure the telephone operator said that I only need to return the TIVO box. Unfortunately I have no record of that and can't find a definitive answer online as the rules seem to be different each month.

I have received the returns kit which has a space for the TIVO box, but also a bag for superhub and remotes etc. The letter text seems to be generic cover letter (could they not have added a tick list of mandatory items??), and rather unhelpfully says "if you have a superhub to return..."

I was going to keep the superhub to tinker with as abother network switch, but not if it is going to cost me £40...

Can anyone confirm which equipment is listed against my account on the VM system as requiring return?

Many thanks

Rob Rowe
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Do i have to return superhub as well as TIVO?

you don't own the hub, you only ever rented it, so expecting to keep it after ending your contract seems a tad unreasonable ?

as for keeping it as a network switch - its crap for that anyway .a £10 passive GB switch from amazon / ebay will be way better

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

When my service endedI was told I had to return the TiVo but not the Superhub as apparently it was an older model (Superhub 2 AC), so it has just joined my Superhub collection (1, 2 and 2 AC)! Though the return package I was sent out only contained a single bag for the TiVo. 

0 Kudos
rjrowe
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou for replying, however in my view that's not a particularly helpful response.

I don't need an opinion as to whether it will be useful for me to keep, nor do I need to have it confirmed that under the terms of the supply contract the equipment belongs to VM and can be requested for return.

What I want is positive confirmation, on my account, as to whether they actually want it back (or are just offering a service under the WEEE recycling regulations, since the telephone operator said that they need to TV box back not the hub (but I'm cautions as it is clear from reading the other posts that sometimes the incorrect advice is given).

It may be that members on this forum cannot access the VM account system, and the only way to get the definitive answer is to get back on the phone, but I thought i'd seen replies from CS operators indicating the opposite.

Thanks

Rob
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

it is a community forum - all you will get here is opinions.

VMs want-it-back policy is fickle and inconsistent ( my opinion)  so you can stuff it in the box, or wait until asked, or phone and ask again - your call.

AFAIK they are scrapping all but HUB3 so will not want HUB2 or HUB1 back,  but again that's opinion - don't rely on it in court Smiley Happy

frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

What an ill-mannered response from the OP.

To quote the initial post :-

"I have received the returns kit which has a space for the TIVO box, but also a bag for superhub and remotes etc. The letter text seems to be generic cover letter (could they not have added a tick list of mandatory items??), and rather unhelpfully says "if you have a superhub to return...""

So the Returns kit contains a bag for the superhub to be returned and the message, from what you have posted, confirms that it is to be returned.

It is not rocket science, it is VM property and they have provided you with the means to return the hub. What is difficult about that?

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rob

the current VM hub return policy is to only request Hub 3s back not any of the older hubs, this was communicated to the Superusers by a VM member of staff a few months ago and we have not been notified of a change in policy since.  If you wait long enough and folks stop posting on this thread (every post bumps it to the bottom of the team's list) then you might eventually get an official response from one of the forum team.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

SCA1972 wrote:

Hi Rob

the current VM hub return policy is to only request Hub 3s back not any of the older hubs, this was communicated to the Superusers by a VM member of staff a few months ago and we have not been notified of a change in policy since.  If you wait long enough and folks stop posting on this thread (every post bumps it to the bottom of the team's list) then you might eventually get an official response from one of the forum team.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Can I refer you back to the long thread on this point around Christmas.

Not only did different VM staff give different opinions on what should or should not be returned but one admitted that the policy had changed again during the course of the thread. Can I also point out that other customers have posted that they were told to dispose of equipment by VM staff only to be chased for either the equipment or the cost of it by other VM staff.

The only SAFE way is to return equipment and, as the OP states, he has been supplied with the means to return equipment and the accompanying letter suggests that is what is required.

To advise anything else is irresponsible and is probably putting the OP at risk of being charged for non-return.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@frank_gm  The only thread I'm aware of was about returning Tivos, not old hubs.  If that is not the thread you're thinking of a link would be helpful.

If you think I'm being irresponsible then I suggest you flag my post to the mods and I'll be bound by their judgement.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hey Rob and guys Smiley Happy

Firstly thanks Rob for joining us on the community and for getting in touch with us. It's lovely to have you here with us.

Currently we are asking for TiVo® boxes, and Hub 3's to be returned. V6's will also be required but as an existing customer you may not have one of those just yet with us.

I'll be happy to take a look into this for you in more detail Rob to see exactly what you have listed with us on your account and for me to do this I'll drop a pm to you that you can find in the next to your forum name. If you could pop back to me on this that would be awesome Smiley Very Happy

To everyone who has been supporting here, I appreciate that the policy for returning equipment is an ever changing one and this can cause confusion when you are trying to support the community for which I apologise. It reflects the business needs which do change on a sometimes frequent basis so I understand that in trying to support the community sometimes the messages can seem to change. It's far from a perfect system but it's what we are working with right now so please, if you need any clarification on current requirement's just give us a shout. You know where we are and we will always do our best to help out.

Thanks again everyone and speak soon Rob Smiley Happy

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"