Menu
adelarks
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Dishonest agent (Leaving Virgin Media)

I am livid with Virgin Media. 

This week I called up a customer services agent in the leaving team as I had been offered a much better deal with  through a friend at SKY.

I explained the situation to the person who will remain anonymous. This person was very eager to keep me and said that I was a valuable customer.

I said it was unlikely he would be able to do anything as was dissapointed that year on year there were prices rises and also my equipment was old. 

He offered to do a deal. Like for Like as he stated but at a reduced rate and promised to send me a new router and Tivo box. At no point in that conversation did we ever discuss changing my package to anything else or reducing broadband speed.

When the new router arrived and I installed it, i started expriencing problems, namely very reduced speeds down from 200mb to something like 10MB. 

When I spoke to the tech team they said that I had recently been moved to a lower broadband speed and my package was not the same one I was on.

Furious! I called up the leave team again, and they read out the notes as said that the agent had written that I called up to reduce my package! Why on earth would I do that and call up the leave team?! I was disgusted. 

My belief is the guy just had to reach a target of keeping customers and never had any intention of offering me the deal he promised and thought i wouldnt notice my broadband being at a lower speed. 

Either way, it's dishonest and I am taking it to the regulatory body and making formal complaint. 

The person I called up to discuss all this with and to make a complaint has promised me a call back from a manager (she first stated there are no managers in early on a Sunday!) and i am still yet to hear. 

She has put my broadband back up but without telling me we have also just been notified by text that my monthly fee is back up too. What is the point in calling up to leave and getting offered a deal if they do this. 

I have had it with this dodgy, car salesman style of customer services. It's shameful, immoral and fraudulent.

I will make sure this is talked about on social and will be writing an article on my experience for a few tech blogs i know. Hopeless.

SlowSM7
Dialled in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dishonest agent (Leaving Virgin Media)

Hopefully some pay back time for VM 💩

I only wish I could spread the word to more people about how bad VM are.
0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am only surprised that you are surprised by what has happened.

These are desperate times for VM and they will drag in money by any method that they think they can get away with.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi adelarks, 

Thanks for your post and I'm really sorry to hear that you were left having a terrible experience when calling the team to discuss your account. Smiley Sad

Usually for any package changes, the agent needs to agree the new package and price with you before putting anything through. I can only apologise if this didn't happen. I will ensure feedback is passed back to that agent and their manager so it doesn't happen again. 

As for the price going back up, when you change your package, you have a certain time period to change it back to how it was penalty free, by doing this the price would also go back to what it was. 

If you would like to give us one last chance to get things put right, speak to the team again on 150 / 0345 454 1111 and they can go through your account to see if there is another package suitable for you. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Kaz3
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I had a similar thing happen to me when I moved. I rang to leave instead of moving my package because I wanted to lower cost and another provider was offering a great deal. I was offered a lower TV package, removed my multi room but a larger Broadband package for a little less than what I was paying. I took them up on the offer because besides the price I have no issue with Virgin's services. Now I never noticed the difference in my internet except for the odd times it has played up. I have a direct debit and do not use my phone line so I do not access my bills as they are always the same (stupid I know) but recently I noticed that my bill has gone up and when I checked online it turns out they not only lowered my TV but also my internet is on the lowest one. I was also told I cannot have the internet without a phone line (on a few occasions I have tried to save a bit of money) but have only recently found out that this is false. I am now looking into my options.

I hope you get this matter resolved.
0 Kudos
adelarks
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this Kaz.

My complaint is being investigated, but one team in Sheffield admitted that the caller was from Sitel - and having looked at their recruitment drive it's all about hard nosed sales and bonus structures to employees, so I imagine they are using any old techniques to reach their targets. 

This person has been dishonest in the extreme, as I asked out right if there was any change to the package and he assured me not. His words were this is "like for like".

What frustrates me the most about this, is i had never had to call Virgin Media in the last few years until now and this has caused me loads of angst, i have a busy life with 3 kids and some other things happening in my life and this has come at the worst time. 

The Sheffield team have kindly honoured the deal for 12 months, but i will not stop until I have retrieved these tapes and made sure the team in Sitel has been held to account and their practices put to an end so other people don't suffer a similar fate with their Virgin Media services.

I must have called up over 15 times to progress this, none of the teams seem to work or talk to each other and the whole infrastructure there is flawed.

Will keep you posted on developments.

0 Kudos
adelarks
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry Kath, but in this instance nothing of the sort happened. 

In fact i'd say this is quite common and if it's happening just at Sitel then there's a real issue with VM using a third party to manage the retention side of things. This is corrupt to say the least. I have read lots of stories like this so these agents are doing it to meet sales targets and appease their bosses who are only interested in the bottom line and their own sales targets.

This wasn't a mistake, this was a conscious, well thought through response to my wanting to leave in which the agent knew he was setting about to deceive and in doing so would win over a dissatisfied customer and "retain their loyalty. The promise was too good to be true and he had no intention of delivering, just thought he could get away with lowering my package - what an immoral person.

Disgusting. When i get to the bottom of it i'll take it further and I certainly want him disciplined and his managers held to account as I am sure they are aware of what is happening.

The worst thing about this is all the chasing I have to do to get people at VM to do anything, they know something isn't right, they know this sort of thing is happening and it's fraud. I should have had a manager on the phone responding to me immeediately, not this long winded chasing of different departments to get to the truth of the matter. 

I will make sure this goes further and i'll try and make other people aware of how VM is turning a blind eye to these kind of illegal practices.

A