Menu
Nicolaj89
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Direct debit when moving

Hi
Just a quick question when moving to a new house and staying with virgin media do I have to cancel my direct debit and set up a new one or can my direct debit continue in the new house?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Direct debit when moving

your Direct Debt is linked to your bank not house, so no
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Nicolaj89
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK thank you I thought so. They cancelled my direct debit when I moved and didn't inform me.. so I rang them as I'm now in arrears with the account and can't afford to clear it all. And told me it's in there terms and conditions that I should of set up a new direct debit and now being charged £10 late payment fee every month too.
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

paultechy wrote:

Surely it is linked to your VM account.  When you move house you have to take out a new account with VM and a new direct debit.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Nicolaj89
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've just rung virgin media about direct debits and they said it carries over the only thing will change is if I change the package but the person I spoke to last time told me it's in their terms and conditions that they cancel the direct debit. So to be honest I have no idea what they do.
0 Kudos
Tudor
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

A Direct Debit is between a company (in this case VM) and your bank. All these days, I think, are classed as variable amount Direct Debits. This means that VM can claim from your bank a varying amount each month. No where on the direct debit, apart from the originators reference, does it hold any details of what recipient account it relates to. Therefore VM can claim from your bank for any property. It just looks as if VN cannot deal with the transfer on their internal systems.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Dave_cq wrote:

paultechy wrote:

Surely it is linked to your VM account.  When you move house you have to take out a new account with VM and a new direct debit.

Virgin Media should transfer an existing Direct Debit instruction across when you move home, even though your Virgin Media account details change (as they're based on the property). Neither side should cancel it completely and any payments due on the bills should continue automatically.

However it will always say on the billing details whether the amount is due to be taken by Direct Debit, or whether a manual payment is due, and this would have highlighted any issues after the move.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nicolaj89

Thanks for dropping by on the forums and for getting in touch about the Direct Debits and your house move.

I appreciate that this has been a little confusing for you and my apologies about the experience you had with the House move process.

What should happen is:

• The old account is closed along with the DD that is connected to this account as the account number you have is linked to the address. Therefore the new DD will be a different account number and have a different Direct Debit originator ID.
  • The House Moves teams will raise a new account number for you for the new home and they should then set up the new DD for you that links to this new address. That would then activate once the new bill is produced at the new home.
  • Any balances not debited at the old account should have transferred to the new account, and similarly any advance credits would do the same.
  • Depending on how far in advance you have been billed to at the old home it’s possible to have either a credit or a debit transferred when a House Move is arranged with us.

I can see that since you posted to u you have been in touch with the teams which is great and they have been able to help support you with the DD at your new home.

Please keep in touch if you need anything else.

Kind regards

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos