Menu
vmhater
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Direct Debit

I have spent hours trying to set up a Direct Debit for a specific amount to cover my monthly bills with VM.  VM promptly sets up a DD for a higher than agreed amount.  No matter who one talks to at VM poor customer services they talk gobbledy **bleep**.  That cannot understand why I should be complaining.  I can understand.  VM have unilaterally varied the DD amount that was expressly agreed between ourselves when I set up the DD up.

After hours, literally, on the phone with VM all I get is complete balderdash excuses from customer services that make NO SENSE.

All the contradictions that they feed you over the phone is endless and sometimes mindless.  As always, the customer is always wrong and VM are always always right; as well as patronising and often rude or inconsiderate.

VM poor customer services do not listen.  To highlight this FACT, NB; VM do not have a complaints department.  They do not wish to log or listen to customer's complaint.

Has anyone else suffered from the poor customer services that VM dishes out?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Direct Debit

You can't set up a direct debit for a particular amount.

A direct debit simply allows a company to take as much as they like from your account.

However, they must advise you by a bill what that amount is.

If they take a different amount than what they bill, you can go directly to your bank, under the direct debit guarantee, and get your money back from the bank who then take responsibility for sorting the situation out for you.

If you disagree with the billed amount that is between you and the company.

0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

As above - the whole point of DD is that it is variable to cater for phone charges and things such as films/events purchased etc. There was a time when allowing anyone to access and take any amount of money from your bank account they fancied would have been ridiculous but that is the way of things now (but still ridiculous).

To pay a fixed amount would be a Standing Order but that would not work where there is a variable amount involved without a load of extra admin.

0 Kudos
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Direct Debit is the simplest way to make sure your bill is paid in full and on time each month.

A Direct Debit is an instruction from you to your bank or building society for an organisation to collect money from your account  – but only if you’ve been given advanced notice of the amounts and dates of collection. (Source: What is a Direct Debit article)

In this case it authorises Virgin Media to collect varying amounts from your account, and we notify you of the amount required in your monthly bill.

We can advise when signing up or changing your package what your standard payment should be, but if you, for example, purchase pay-per-view events, or make chargeable phone calls, then the amount may vary. The same applies if we change the cost of the services that we provide you with - and we will always advise of changes of that nature well in advance too. 

Hope this clarifies the situation, and thanks to @Ernie_C and @spell for their answers too.

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
vmhater
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

WRONG ANSWER

BANKING CODE SAYS THAT VM HAS TO NOTIFY CUSTOMER BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES

0 Kudos
vmhater
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

VM CHANGED MY DD WITHOUT TELLING ME

VM HAVE BREACHED THE BANKING CODE FOR DDs

0 Kudos
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Your monthly bill is notification of the amount to be collected.

When you pay your Virgin Media bill by Direct Debit, you are protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee. We'll tell you about this when you set up your Direct Debit with us, but you can also read it below.

In future, if there is a change to the date, amount or frequency of your Direct Debit, we will always give you 5 working days’ notice in advance of your account being debited.

In the event of any error, you are entitled to an immediate refund from your Bank or Building Society.

You have the right to cancel at any time and this guarantee is offered by all the Banks and Building Societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits.

A copy of the safeguards under the Direct Debit Guarantee were sent to you with our Direct Debit confirmation letter - alternatively visit the Direct Debit website

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

deleted as duplicate information

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
vmhater
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Again, the wrong answer.  I agreed a specific amount to be set up with my bank. VM are not allowed to change the DD amount without first notifying me prior to changing thew DD amount.  VM are in breach of the banking code.

0 Kudos
vmhater
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Wrong answer.  No notification was sent when the DD was set up.  VM do not communicate well, and are happy to breach the banking code and explain it away with fob offs.  As you are doing now.

0 Kudos