Menu
Dee58
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Death of Account Holder

When an account holder has died and has pre-paid for line rental. Is a refund to his estate due? I have read a few threads on this matter but can find no definitive answer. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Death of Account Holder

LRS shouldn't be refundable past a short period, the T&C page states this:

If you cancel Line Rental Saver within 14 days of your order you will get a full refund of your advance payment to the debit or credit card you paid with. Otherwise the advance payment is non-refundable.

Link: http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/line-rent...

Edit: Added link

______
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Addams Family Version-2.jpg
0 Kudos
Dee58
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. Yes I did read this but I wondered if this was the case in the death of an account holder as obviously it is not their fault or choice that they cancel. As others have noted, there is pitifully little information on Virgin's site concerning the death of an account holder.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dee58, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community Smiley Happy 

Usually Line Rental Saver, once paid, there is no refund unless it's cancelled within the first 14 days as Shelke mentioned. 

There is one other exception to this rule and this is if the Account Holder has passed away. 

How this refund is given depends on what happens to the account. 

If the executor of the Bereaved account holders estate is the same person wanting to take over responsibility of the account to keep the services going then we can credit the amount to the nearest £10 to the new account. 

If the account is being disconnected due to a bereaved account holder then we will credit the amount to the nearest £10 and issue that via a cheque to the executor. 

If you have any further questions or need any help then pop back and let me know Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Dee58
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you KathF for your reply. It is good to see that someone at Virgin can be helpfull!

Let me first say that I think it is a terrible that a company who claims to give its customers the best possible service does not have a dedicated team for bereavement like most others I have been contacting. The fact that I have had to resort (like many others) to a forum to get answers is disgraceful. I realise you are one person in a huge organisation but would urge you to do your best to inform those within the organisation that can make changes to take this on board and make sure others in a bereaved situation like myself are treated with compassion and are not ripped off at such a painful time.

I contacted virgin on your 150 service over 3 weeks ago to inform you of my father's passing. Even though he had paid up till June no refund has not been offered and furthermore a cancellation charge has been added to his final bill which I feel is outrageous. I was also promised that a postage bag would be sent for us to return the TV box which also has not happened.

I would appreciate it if you would look into this for me. If you private message me I will give you the details.

Thanks you.

Dee58

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dee58, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this and all I can say is Sorry for the less than perfect journey you have had at such a difficulty time Smiley Sad

We do have a bereavement team and am not sure why the agents you have spoken to have not transferred you through to them. I will investigate this and get feedback given where appropriate to those agents. 

When we are notified of the passing of one of our account holders, we mark the account to be closed. Any charges are written off so rest assured you will pay no cancellation fees for this account. 

It did take a little running around on my behalf to find the above information so I will again feed this back to ensure it's available to everyone who deals with calls and this sort of question. 

I would love to double check your father's account, so have sent you a message. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos