Menu
Carl_Anderson
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Deals for new customers only frustration

Hi little shocked about a conversation a few weeks ago. I only have Virgin fiber broadband and pay almost £40 pm which I started to think was a little high after hearing from friends and family who had recently received the new bundles with the V6 box for more or less what I was paying just for Internet.
I called to see if I could upgrade to be told yes but would be substantially more each month explaining that the best deals/prices were for new customers only. I was really shocked to hear this and have been given really cheap quotes with sky for movies,sports all in HD. Is this a normal thing because it left me that disappointed and unvalued that I gave my 30 days notice....... This is my first Internet provider for myself as my family always had sky but when I moved out thought ide try Virgin.
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Deals for new customers only frustration

Its normal for this industry to offer incentives for new customers
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Carl_Anderson wrote:
Hi little shocked about a conversation a few weeks ago. I only have Virgin fiber broadband and pay almost £40 pm which I started to think was a little high after hearing from friends and family who had recently received the new bundles with the V6 box for more or less what I was paying just for Internet.
I called to see if I could upgrade to be told yes but would be substantially more each month explaining that the best deals/prices were for new customers only. I was really shocked to hear this and have been given really cheap quotes with sky for movies,sports all in HD. Is this a normal thing because it left me that disappointed and unvalued that I gave my 30 days notice....... This is my first Internet provider for myself as my family always had sky but when I moved out thought ide try Virgin.

Standard practice, they offer new customers good deals to get them to sign up, then hope its too much work to bother moving provider the year after and just keep paying Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
mynameislee
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I share your frustration. I'm paying £76/mo for 200mbps (decent), Full House TV (mostly a crapshoot) and phone M (never use- who has a landline anymore?!). This is twice the price I paid on sign-up.

I've been a loyal customer for many years. I spoke with the upgrade team about getting the new V6 box (the current one is so slow that it just makes me want to throw things at it), and was given a price of £64.99. I queried why I should pay it, when a new customer gets it for free? They said they have no authority to budge on the price - that's the cost if I want to trade in the old one. I then asked for a better deal on the monthly fee - they said they could DOWNGRADE me to 100mbps and Mix TV for £55/mo. So half the Internet speed and even crappier TV for £21/mo cheaper.  Whoop-dee-doo.

They seem completely disinterested in customer loyalty. At this point, I have three options:

1. Call them to cancel, and await the inevitable retention marketing call where I eventually pay half the price and get all of the stuff for free, but have to do the usual cat-and-mouse nonsense of asking to cancel.

2. Cancel everything, and sign up under my partner's name to get all the original deals, £100+ cashback, etc.

3. Go with one of the many alternatives.. Sky, TalkTalk, freeview box, etc and get all the usual new customer cashback, cut the bill in half, etc.

all 3 options are ridiculous when you just want to a) keep what you've got, and b) not get shafted for your loyalty.

0 Kudos
Carl_Anderson
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks guys for your replies. It seems a nightmare. Surely it would make sense to keep hold of loyal customers rather than those who just want to initial bargains.

Tempted by sky now to be honest.
0 Kudos
mynameislee
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

> Tempted by sky now to be honest

Same. With cashback, it's basically free for the first year. The only issue is the Internet speed. Virgin is unmatched outside of Hyperoptic and dedicated connections. I'd switch in a heartbeat if it didn't mean a 50-70% drop in speed.
0 Kudos