Menu
zainisthebest
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Customer retentions don't care

I called up Virgin Media today as my contract is going to end soon. I'm currently paying £29 for 50mb broadband and anytime calls. This price is due to finish on 27th Feb and after that it'll change to £48. The advisor who picked up first (forgotten his name) couldn't care less and said my broadband usage is high and other providers won't be able to supply this much (300gb). I thought virgin had the same rules for everyone? I didn't know people who use the internet a lot have to pay higher prices. He really wanted me to leave that he didn't even bother to give me a cheaper deal that would lock me into another contract. He said "I've put the disconnection through for you and it should go through on 2nd march". I hung up and called sky (I used to have tv with them before and I currently get leaflets asking me to come back) and offered me £26.99 for anytime calls and unlimited fibre broadband (38mb) fixed for 18 months. I've been with sky before and their retentions department clearly cares more about its ex customers than virgin does about its current customers. I simply can't afford to pay more then £30. I don't want to leave virgin because I've been very happy with the service (especislly the home phone) but clearly virgin doesn't care about its customers. Can anyone from the forum team just give me help me with what I need? Because I just don't want the hassle of changing providers.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Customer retentions don't care

Retentions etc should never be able to beat 'new customer' deals so it's always best to swap around if you want to pay cheaper prices.

As to usage, shouldn't make a difference. They are all sold with 'unlimited' downloads.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
zainisthebest
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I totally get what you mean but customers who also take tv get the best retentions deals, virgin is able to match any competitors price. I just can't afford to pay more than £29, but I don't want to leave virgin either so if anyone from the forum team can just come and help me out here.
0 Kudos
timberflake
Tuning in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

We've had something similar, they offered us a 'deal' but it was £10 more than what a new customer would pay and didn't include the most up-to-date equipment (or the installation on Virgins part!) but that hinged on us paying £200 up front!!

I wouldn't worry, the past two years we've cancelled and within a few days we've had a call and got the deal we wanted, in fact Virgin have rang me today, but as it's in my gf's name they need to speak to her.

0 Kudos
zainisthebest
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The advisor said "if you use 300gb of data a month sky won't accept that" clearly sky doesn't let you use more than 300gb a month probably that's why it has more customers than virgin media. If virgin cares too much about other providers rules, when are they gonna be able to look at their own?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Sky have packages that have usage caps and versions that don't.

Sky fibre has a cap of 25GB a month download and is £28.99 a month.

Sky fibre unlimited (same speeds) has no usage cap but costs £38.99 a month.

Might be worth looking into what's being offered to make sure they are not Miss selling you the package with usage caps on it.

0 Kudos
timberflake
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

It depends which Sky internet package you go for, but VM once again being selective with the truth!

0 Kudos
zainisthebest
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

It is an unlimited package with sky, but it's just that I don't want to leave virgin media. And I can't believe that no one from virgin has bothered to reply yet.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

VM forum team take around a week-2 weeks to reply. The phones sadly are the quicker options. If you call up during business hours (9-5) and go to option 1 then 4 then 5 you should get to retentions, if you get offshore hang up, ask to speak to cancellations, argue your case there as see what deal they can make. Again if at any point you get offshore, just hand up and try again.

I'm curious how you got offered an unlimited fibre package for £12 less a month than I could get offered. That's why I'm wary when you say it's the unlimited one. Just be nice to get that confirmed for you.

0 Kudos
zainisthebest
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

It's because I'm an ex sky customer. The deal was if I'd take up sky tv and phone and internet all for £37.99 including everything (anytime calls and lime rental incl and tv) but I told them I'm not interested in sky tv and they said it's fine they'll be able to do it for £26.99 and I even had a leaflet out, that's how I found out about this deal. I understand you're worried about it not being unlimited but I've just come off the phone with them. But the thing is even though it's cheaper, id have to get the bt line reactivated (sky are saying I need a new one) and I don't want to join sky and have utIlisation issues (happened in the past but my cousin is with them she only lives down the road and hers is fine now). I'm not sure about what to do, my husband doesn't want me to change but I really can't afford £42. This is £9 more than I should be really paying. Ik I'm having a rant on here even though I should be doing it over the phone but they just keep bringing up the fact that my family is using 300gb a month but that has nothing to do with the contract as it's unlimited. I've only got 3 children and we use 300gb and imagine other customers who have 4+ children, how are they not going over 300gb. Virgin claims their packages are unlimited but when it comes to renewing they bring up usage? None of this makes sense to me.
0 Kudos