Menu
Jospot197444
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Costs help!!

Hi hope someone can help! I'm on long term sick at the moment and need to lower the costs of my bills. I have XL TV, vivid 200 broadband and talk more anytime. I pay around £85. I've just rang to lower my package and the best deal they gave me is 71.45?! Can this be right? I hear all the time how people get their bills nearly halved (which was what I was looking for-ish). I can get much better deals with sky but I didn't want to go through the rigmarole of changing as I'm so ill at the mo. I've been with Virgin media for over 15 years and this is all they can offer? Feeling very deflated
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Costs help!!

To reduce costs further you could lower your broadband package to a lesser speed, remove some TV channels & reduce your call package. If you don't wish to do this or you fully use these services then you could try calling retentions again to see if another operative would help further.
Sky's broadband speed is much lower than VM so you could reduce your VM broadband speed to 100Mb or even 50Mb to save money.

Virginia/Doctor9fan. If I have helped please give me Kudos.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Don't forget that changing your package automatically puts you onto a new 12 month contract

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To reduce costs further you could lower your broadband package to a lesser speed, remove some TV channels & reduce your call package. If you don't wish to do this or you fully use these services then you could try calling retentions again to see if another operative would help further.
Sky's broadband speed is much lower than VM so you could reduce your VM broadband speed to 100Mb or even 50Mb to save money.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Don't forget that changing your package automatically puts you onto a new 12 month contract

Jospot197444
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your responses. I had lowered both TV and phone but needed a good internet for my children's online gaming. I've just looked at sky and can get everything I need plus extra boxes in both my children's rooms PLUS a free 32" TV for £62! I didn't want to leave Virgin but doesn't look like I have a choice now! Virgin wanted to add another £15 to my bill for the extra boxes making my bill about £90 + £49.95 fitting! Sky just said they will do this for free!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If the Sky BB would be Fibre then it is time to move to Sky especially as they're giving you a much better deal which includes a TV, if standard broadband then speed will be much slower than you get from VM so may not be suitable for gaming.
Should you give notice to cancel your services you will probably receive a phone call from retentions offering you a retention deal which should be much better than you got when you called originally; why they can't offer these upon originally calling retentions is beyond me & would prevent many complaints about poor deals offered to current customers who are at the end of their contract, but that's just my opinion.

If you do go for that deal make sure you ask several times what exactly you expect to get for the cost, how much the monthly cost will be, that the TV is included & free & that there are no installation costs, I agreed a deal once for Sky TV with a Sky HD 1Tb box as a retention deal, but they reneged on that offer & only offered a Sky HD 500Mb box but I could have the original deal if I paid £100 for the box, to cut a long story short I cancelled & had a call a few days later offering me the original deal.