Menu
Ignicru
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Contract/Housemate Help?

Perhaps a weird one. I honestly don't know if I'm in the right section. But I don't know what to do!

I moved into this house in May, and right now one of the housemates is moving out. The Virgin account we have is in his name, so I don't have access to it. And in a slight hiccup with payment, money is apparently due. But he's also saying he's just going to cancel the contract, not transfer it, and that we owe him money for it.

Is there anything at all that I can get help with?

We have some of the paper bills, if that proves that I do live here?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Contract/Housemate Help?

hiya @Ignicru welcome to the virginmedia community forum, The Transfer of Responsibility (ToR) requires that the person taking over an account has enough credit history at the property before becoming the new account holder (6 months worth of time living at the property is the requirement for a normal ToR.) Therein person who is still living there and pays for the bill will be the candidate for the ToR. All ToR's bring to an end the existing contract/etc and setup a new contract/etc in the new account holders name. The downtime service wise can be up to 24 hours when the switching is being done.
As for who owes the money that is been yourselves, but if the bill goes unpaid will greatly effect their credit history and might have issues getting virginmedia else where.

also if they've had virginmedia more than 28 days would be outside the virginmedia cooling off period and would need to pay early disconnect fees ->http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early-...
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

don't see why you cant create a new account, once the old account is closed off.. you would be given new hardware for virginmedia, and this can be done via QS (quick start) self install. so no need to wait for engineer
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

hiya @Ignicru welcome to the virginmedia community forum, The Transfer of Responsibility (ToR) requires that the person taking over an account has enough credit history at the property before becoming the new account holder (6 months worth of time living at the property is the requirement for a normal ToR.) Therein person who is still living there and pays for the bill will be the candidate for the ToR. All ToR's bring to an end the existing contract/etc and setup a new contract/etc in the new account holders name. The downtime service wise can be up to 24 hours when the switching is being done.
As for who owes the money that is been yourselves, but if the bill goes unpaid will greatly effect their credit history and might have issues getting virginmedia else where.

also if they've had virginmedia more than 28 days would be outside the virginmedia cooling off period and would need to pay early disconnect fees ->http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early-...
Ignicru
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Okay but. He doesn't intend on transferring it. Instead he wants to cancel. Can I just set up a new contract? Without the transfer?

Will this complicate matters?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

don't see why you cant create a new account, once the old account is closed off.. you would be given new hardware for virginmedia, and this can be done via QS (quick start) self install. so no need to wait for engineer
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ignicru

Thanks for getting in touch with us about the options to take out an account with us.

if your housemate is moving out and doesn't want to transfer the account then you can set up a new account with us via Sales on 0800 183 1234

They would need to see that the original account holder has requested to disconnect services.

If the housemate doesn't arrange this and has moved out then contact us and let us know by logging this as a ‘Goneaway’ account. Once we have this we can close the account down within 24 hours and then book in an account to be connected for you.

As @paultechy mentioned, if you have not long been in the address we may require proof of residency from a previous address.

Keep us posted and let us know how you get on Smiley Happy

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos