Menu
Martyboy78
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Continuing Customer Service Carousel of Doom

Hello. This is my first post and sadly it’s not a positive one. I am stuck in an ever decreasing spiral of crap customer service with Virgin. Please can ANYONE help? Does someone there have a brain cell? Depressing story of woe below:

5 September 2016

Having been with Virgin for 18 months I decided to sign up to Sky. I was offered Sky Q, their top TV package (not including films or sports), broadband and unlimited calls for £41.40. Virgin had only offered me a very modest reduction in my monthly fee to stay, the cost of which would be £71. Going with Sky was (I thought) a complete no-brainer, especially as my Virgin box was (and still is) slower than a Trump supporter.

To cut a long story short Sky bodged the whole thing – engineers who didn’t turn up, engineers who turned up when asked not to, endless phone calls, equipment not working etc. A complete mess.

2 October 2016

I finally had enough and cancelled my entire order with Sky.

4 October 2016

Reluctantly I decided the only thing to do was to re-sign/stay with Virgin. The person I spoke to said this would be no problem, except for the phone. A request had already been received by Virgin from Sky to port the phone over to Sky. However, this wouldn’t be an issue as Virgin would simply port it back again. This would take about a week. No problem. I receive an email saying my new package will cost £70.99 – Talk more Anytime (inc free voicemail, caller ID), TV XL & Vivid 200 broadband.

6 October 2016

I receive an email from Virgin telling me it’s time to sign my Virgin Media contract. The details are the same as the email I received on 4 October (above) – a 12 month contract at £70.99. I ‘sign’ it and receive confirmation.

Week of 10 October

No word from Virgin about the phone which is still not receiving or making calls. I ring Virgin (using my mobile). They’ll send an engineer to fix it.

13 October

I receive an email from Virgin telling me I’ve made some changes to my package (I haven’t). Phone line is not now included and the new monthly cost is £95.38 (what a bargain Smiley Frustrated). I ring Virgin to query a) the unfeasibly massive price hike, and b) removal of the telephone service from the bill. I am told not to worry – it’s a mistake.

18 October

Virgin Engineer arrives. He works his magic and the phone now works for both incoming and outgoing calls. Happy days.

26 October

My wife and I notice that caller ID is not working and decide to call Virgin to ask why. We are told our phone is not with Virgin - it’s with Sky. Excellent! We tell them it is with Virgin and we have the contract to prove it (see 6 October above). Virgin say we need to call Sky. We call Sky. Sky say our phone line categorically is not with Sky. We call Virgin back. We spend almost 2 hours on the phone. The poor customer service operative has a near mental breakdown attempting to unpick the cataclysmic chaos Virgin have presided over. He cannot figure out what is going and suggests booking in another engineer to come look at it. But there isn’t one available until 30 November. Superb. We query what will happen if we receive a massive phone bill from someone else in the meantime – obviously we signed a contract that says we have unlimited calls with Virgin. We are told Virgin will honour the contract and ensure we are not out of pocket.

At 14.10 I receive an email telling me my contract is now £69.99 per month. Phone line now included again.

At 19.09 I receive an email telling me my bill is now ready – it’s £102.47. Brain well and truly frazzled. I need a lie down.

11 November

2pm. With a certain degree of trepidation I phone Virgin to add Sky Sports for a month. I like rugby (don’t judge me) and want to watch the Autumn internationals. I’m told it’s £38 for the month (including the HD channels) but there is a £10 off promotion so I can have them for £28. I don’t even need to call back and cancel in a month as that will be done automatically for me. Great.

12 November

2.25pm. I get home just before kick-off between England and South Africa. Sky Sports isn’t working. Of course it isn’t – why would it be? I ring Virgin. After 25 minutes of that dreadful hold music (I now sing it in my sleep ) I finally get through. I’m told Sky Sports hasn’t been activated. I ask why. I’m told we have a work order outstanding on 30 November so Sky Sports cannot be activated. I explain that the work order is related to the phone, not the television. The automaton tells me it cannot be done without cancelling the work order. I plead with him to add Sky Sports ASAP. It starts working about 5 minutes before half time so thanks very much for that (at least England won). The work order for 30 November is cancelled. I decided to call back on Monday to complain.

14 November

I ring Virgin to complain about the weekend’s Sky Sports debacle and the ongoing issue with the phone limbo / ping pong. I request a contact email or postal address to send a complaint to. The lady tells me she handles complaints. I give her the back story (thankfully she doesn’t keel over). She tells me a manager will call me back today by 5pm and that the issue will be ‘sorted’. Surprise surprise – I don’t receive a call.

Frank Spencer School of Customer Service

So Virgin. It’s now been 6 weeks and I’m still none the wiser as to which faceless corporation is operating my phone or what my monthly bill will actually be. Here is what I would like please:

1. A phone call, letter or email from someone (preferably a manager with at least 50% brain function remaining) confirming that my phone is (as per my contract) with Virgin, or, if it isn’t, that it very shortly will be and that caller ID / voicemail will actually work.
2. A cast iron assurance that I will not be charged / left out of pocket for any calls made from my number since I re-signed with Virgin on 4 October.
3. A credit / refund for the complete lack of service, hassle and huge amount of time wasted attempting to sort out Virgin’s mind-boggling ineptitude.
4. An apology / credit / refund / goodwill gesture for missing the first half of England v South Africa.
5. A new TV box that moves quicker than a geriatric tortoise with emphysema.
6*. A picture of Richard Branson in his underpants with “I’m sorry, Martin” written in lipstick across his chest.

Thanks

*Ok, so this one’s optional but it would be nice.

0 Kudos
Martyboy78
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Continuing Customer Service Carousel of Doom

UPDATE:

Firstly, still no reply to my original post from anyone at Virgin. This just about sums up my experience so far. Thanks.

TUESDAY 15 November

Spent 40 minutes on the phone to Virgin. Explained the situation to about 5 different people. Again requested to make a complaint and spoke to a manager.  Everyone I spoke to, including the manager, insisted my phone line isn't with Virgin.  The manager said the best way to test it is to dial 150 from my home phone - I did this and guess who picked up?  Yes, it was Virgin.  After about 40 minutes on the call I needed to go and do something else.  I asked the person I was speaking to to call me back in 10 minutes.  She didn't.

I later checked my bank balance. Virgin has debited me £102.47!  So, I signed a contract for £70.99, Virgin them removed / bodged the phone line part of that contract and charged me over £30 more the privilege - outstanding! If there was an Olympics for customer service...

I called Virgin again when I got home by dialling 150.  The person I spoke to (Dylan) was the most helpful yet and agreed the whole thing was a total mess. I now have an engineer coming out on 13 December.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martyboy78, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It';s great having you on board even though you've had a less than perfect journey so far Smiley Sad

OK, I've gone in to the account and I have to agree, what a mess! It certainly took me around 5 tried to read and fully understand what was going on. I can only apologise for the issues you have faced. 

When you requested for Sky to take over your number, it left Virgin Media and therefore became Sky's telephone service. When you cancelled with Sky it left the number in Limbo. We've requested it to be ported back but that hasn't been completed which is why you're having the 'it's not ours, it's theirs' spiel. 

Currently I can see it's pending install, confirmed by the notes on your 2nd post confirming a new installation date for the phone line. Once the engineer has been, there will be none of this and it will fully be with Virgin Media. 

With regards to the billing, the 1st bill after changing your package will always come in a little higher as the changes will be made pro rata plus one month in advance. As you cancelled, and then cancelled the cancellation, you would effectively be having your first bill again.

I can see credit has been applied for any amount over charged to you so you haven't paid more than what you should have.

With regards to any further credit for customer service, we don't offer any form of compensation.  I can see a complaint has been opened and you have been contacted since posting but for now it's a waiting game until the phone line is fully installed. 

Once this is done, I'm sure things will be resolved completely Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Martyboy78
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Kath.  Latest is that the phone has now stopped working completely in the last 48 hours for no discernible reason.  No incoming calls or outgoing ones.  We called Virgin again today who promised an engineer would come tomorrow (Thursday 1 December) in the afternoon.  We'll wait and see....

0 Kudos
Martyboy78
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Update.

1 December

After being given a 1-4pm window for the engineer's visit he eventually arrived at about 4.30pm.  

He got the phone working and confirmed we DEFINITELY have a Virgin landline already installed (he was actually the same engineer who came in October) BUT for some reason unbeknown to him Virgin had changed it another phone number.  But they hadn't bothered to tell us. Fantastic.  

He also said that caller ID was not something any engineer could fix / initiate on site and that it would have to be done by customer services / call centre staff - we have been told* repeatedly that an engineer visit was needed to make caller ID work.  He advised us to call back on Friday.

2 December

My wife phoned Virgin to request caller ID be activated and that we have our old phone number back.  She was told they could port it and this would take 48 hours - they could then activate caller ID once that had happened.  This phone call took well over an hour.

4 December

Phone number still not ported across. My wife phoned again and spent another hour trying to explain the situation to be told our number had not been ported at all.  No request had been received to do so.  She asked to be put through to retentions and spoke to Claire who said her manager (Chris) would call tomorrow (Monday 5 December).  

5 December

4.20pm.  As yet no call received from Chris... 

*Lied to

0 Kudos
Martyboy78
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

6 December

Still no callback received from Chris. Spoke to the retentions team who insisted we need to wait in for the engineer visit on 13 December.  He promised me this would be sorted on 13 December.  I made him write that in the notes.

0 Kudos
Martyboy78
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

9 December

Phone not working at all again – no dialling in tone – cannot make or receive calls – checked the old number and the new one.  Both dead. 

Still no call back from the mythical Chris.  Oh Chris - where are you?

0 Kudos