Menu
danny1993
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Conned into a 12 month contract!

I am very disappointed with Virgin's Customer Relations Team!

Background - I have been a Virgin Media Customer for over 10 years. I have had a previous complaint about a product that was mis-sold to me, which got resolved with a satisfactory refund to my account in 2011. I am now facing a similar situation that is explained below.

I received a call on the 27th July from a lady in India who are known as the "Outbound Team". She stated that as I have been such a loyal customer she wanted me to offer a free upgrade to the XL package. I asked her very clearly if this would be a new contract and if this would cost me anything extra. Her reply was "not at all sir, you can go back to your original package if you like after 6 months, just call us". I asked her this question a number of times. Moving on and with her 101% confirmation I told her I would like to go ahead with your free offer but would be cancelling it after 6 months as i wouldn't be able to afford. She completed the free upgrade and said she was also going to increase my broadband speed to 200mb. Call was ended after approx 30mins duration.

I make a call to Virgin Media on 28th December and spoke to a guy called Conor from Customer Relations team. I discussed with him about the new Virgin box and my package as it was out of contract. He advised me to call back in few weeks as they would be possibly doing "man free" installations that would cost anything. Regarding my contract he also said that same as the 6 months XL package i was upgraded was due to end on 21st Jan.

On 18th Jan I made a call to Virgin Media and spoke to a guy called Chris from Customer Relations team. I explained that I called in December and spoke to Conor ad gave him a brief background. I mentioned to him that I want to end the special 6 months package I was given as I cant afford to pay £70+ and we don't want BT Sports. I then asked him if he could do anything better to renew my current contract with Virgin. Chris just seemed he couldn't be **bleep** to assist and mentioned that if I go down back to my original M+ package I would be tied down to a 12 month contract with Virgin Media as this was the deal made on 27th July. I totally was shocked as I clearly remember my conversations on 27th July and about any contracts etc. He didn't want listen and was very rude, arrogant and careless. He didn't want to find a resolution about my concerns and wasn't bothered if I ended my services with Virgin Media. His final words were along the lines of "If you go back to M+ you will be in a 12 months contract no matter what, what do you want to do". I said that I want to complain that I have been mis-sold a product and not been made aware of any contract, he refused to give me complaint number or address and said that he deals with complaints. After a long argument I told him I would phone back and speak to someone else.

So I made another call on 27th January and spoke to Adam from Customer Relations. Again explained the situation. He mentioned that a contract was send to me via email to ******@virginmedia.com. I have no knowledge of this email, its access or never used this. He said that his is the email on the system and its my responsibility to check this for any contracts. I explained that my email registered with Virgin is my personal email and I have proof of this as I have had other old contracts sent to this and other correspondent. I gave him the dates and times and offered to forward these emails to him as proof. He wasn't interested and was 101% sure that I am aware of this so called virginmedia.com email - that I am not.  Adam didn't offer any solution instead suggested that I drop to the M+ package which is £50. No discount given at all for loyalty! I had no option but to downgrade my package otherwise I would be paying over £70!. Even if I was to downgrade I would be tied down to e extended 12 months contract!

My argument is that when I was offered a free upgrade service to a XL package as a special and loyal customer I was not made aware that I would out back into a 12 month contract after 6 months. I have not agreed, signed or seen any contract  in relation to this and to my knowledge I was mis "sold" this.

I am disappointed with the whole situation and the way the Customer Relations have handled my complaint and concerns. They are clearly not interested. The email address registered to my email is fake and I have never had no access to this, I have not signed or been aware of any contract and have been mis-sold a free product with a con to extend my contract. I have emails stating something else and telephone support saying the opposite, there is a lack of integrity and consistency.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Conned into a 12 month contract!

Hi danny1993

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us and welcome to our little community Smiley Happy 

I can appreciate it hasn't been the best of experiences for you and I apologise for what you've been through and for any misunderstanding and inconvenience which may have been caused. 

I can totally understand your concerns and frustrations with what has happened and it's disappointing we've not been able to help you when you've called up on numerous occasions. 

It is clear that you're not too happy with what has been advised so please take a look at our complaints code of practice here http://virg.in/compscop It will detail how you can make a complaint and what steps are in our complaints process. 

Again, I apologise for the experience you've had and hope you get something sorted out soon. 

Many thanks

Ian _LP

Forum Team

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Davidplatt100
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You're experience describes my current situation to a T, I'm currently having a nightmare with virgin media, if I wrote a post it would be identical to yours, I would just like to know how you got on and how you resolved this? I can't wait to leave virgin media.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Davidplatt100, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are having an issue with Virgin Media. 

Can you tell us a little bit about what is happening? 

Maybe we can help you. 

Come back and let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
danny1993
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply after 6 months! Clearly shows the customers service level!

0 Kudos
danny1993
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi David,

No help whatsoever! I sent a email and letter via post and had no reply! You can see from the above reply that it took them over 6 months to reply on here. Im currently now taking this complain to the CISAS. Back in 2012 something similar happened and Virgin ended up refunding me back a large sum!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You got a reply within 2 weeks, the forum wait time is usually in a 1-2 week period.

You didn't make a follow up post or reply to what Ian said to you, what are they meant to do at that point?

Kath's reply was directed at another poster.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
danny1993
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ian has just redirected me to a PDF with complaints procedure which I already have and followed. A standard copy and paste reply that is being used by Virgin Media
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Could be very well because the forum team can't get involved in every single issue. Got to clear the DPA with them etc.

Either way it looks like you want to complain to CISAS, isn't really much they can do when your intention is that but to ride the system.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
niqbal1
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Danny 1993

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I hope you're making progress with CISAS.

I had a dispute with Virgin Media in January 2017. I decided to send an e-mail to the CEO Tom Mockridge. After a couple of weeks I sent another and another but never heard anything back from Virgin Media at all. I don't know what's happening there but if they can't get back to someone over a five month period then somethings seriously wrong.

After five months of nothing I approached CISAS. I then got a 60 second call from Virgin Media. The lady said they're going to defend the claim. They had two weeks to defend it. When CISAS sent me Virgin Media's defence I was shocked, appalled and disgusted with it. Customer service like this brings the company in to disrepute not that Tom Mockridge cares about that. The defence was just under fifty pages long. It contained detailed notes from the account which had no bearing whatsoever on the case and what I'm pretty sure is a serious breach of the Data Protection Act.

I responded back to CISAS destroying every point which the defence relied on. And by the way there was not a single word (not even an apology) about not hearing from them over the five months. I'm sure the adjudicator was shocked by that one too. He ruled in my favour and Virgin Media had to swallow it. But did they take their loss graciously? Nope! The letter I received was full of sour grapes. She also didn't follow the adjudicator's decision. First she provided a link, then she printed off a 30 page document from their website. Virgin Media has really lost the plot. As if that isn't enough they've now sent me someone else's data a real breach of the Data Protection Act. I notified Virgin Media last week but still haven't heard back. Give them a bit more time and then I'll take both breaches to the ICO.

Clearly from customer's experiences Virgin Media have a lot to learn about customer service. Perhaps Sir Richard should give up his dreams of going to space and sort out the problems in his own back yard.

0 Kudos