Menu
notlistening201
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Complaint - appalled by service

I am writing to you today to express my sever dissatisfaction at the service received and my shock at the way your 'customer relations' department have just spoken to me on the phone.

I initially rung at lunch time today to discuss with your team a way to save money on my current package. Over the last four years whilst still being on old equipment and the standard broadband the price of our package has steadily increased and now, at over £70 per month is becoming un-affordable for my husband and I. We had looked around for other deals within our price range but, having been loyal customers to your service for nearly four years now, wanted to talk to your team to confirm what they could do for us so that we had the least disruption possible.

I spoke to a helpful lady who explained that the package I was on was outdated by the standards now offered to new customers, that the reason I could not find details of the new packages on the website was because they were now named differently and talked me through he savings I could make if I down-graded my television package. During this conversation she said that the 70mbps that we currently have with our broadband was actually something you did not offer as standard to new customers anymore but offered 100 or 200 and she went through with us the options to upgrade to this. The best package she could offer would be £68 but this would be for the large TV package (downgraded from our current package) and 200mbps broadband, but that we would need to pay a £14.99 activation fee also. Not happy with this she suggested we ring back and speak to disconnections who could offer us a better discount than she could.

After spending some time researching our options with other providers we rung back your retention's department with the view to looking for a package price that reflected our loyalty to the company. Initially I was placed on hold for 15 minutes, only to, when I did eventually get through, have to wait a further ten minutes for a call back as the agents computer had crashed. Once explaining the situation to the agent he proceeded to advise me that the girl I had spoken to at lunch time '..did not know what she was talking about.' as the internet speed still offered as standard was 70mbps. He went on to explain that he could offer us a deal of £56 per month for 6 months and then £59 per month on a 12 month contract. Forgive me for being confused but I assumed this meant £56 for 6 months and then an additional £59 for 12 months. I went on to confirm some questions with him regarding price increases during the contractual period and then suggested that he note feedback to the original agent I spoke to. Obviously by telling existing customers that they are getting broadband that is not even offered as standard on new packages all you will do is anger the existing customers as we will feel we are not getting anywhere near as good a deal as customers already with the service. At this point your agent suggested that we ‘Get back to it.’ clearly too impatient to listen to or note my feedback. As we began to discuss the deal offered I stated what I believed he had offered me to him he came back to me with ‘Can you please listen to what I am saying to you.’. I raised the issue at this point that there was no need to speak to me in that manner or tone. The fact was I was not not listening to your agent but was in fact trying to confirm the package he’d offered so I could compare with other providers and also confer with my husband. I was then accused of ‘taking the matter out of context’ and also that ‘if I have had to explain something four times and you didn’t get it right I assumed you were not listening.’

I am absolutely appalled. To ask a customer to ‘get back to the point’ when they are discussing their concerns is bad enough, to accuse them of not listening when they are simply trying to clarify an important price point and contractual terms is just absolutely appalling. As I explained to Dan, the agent I spoke to, who refused to provide a call reference or email address for complaints, or even a full name to me! ..I have a law degree, and I was confused by the way he was explaining the offer in contractual terms, god help a lay man trying to question something with you if that’s how you treat people!

I was asked to put the complaint into writing to be responded to in 28 days. Frankly I do not believe that a technology company of your size cannot deal with complaints over e-mail. Also, after today’s treatment, I do not want to wait 28 days for an answer as we will almost certainly be changing provider to someone that can provide a better offer and better customer service.

I would like, in writing a full explanation on why you feel it appropriate not only to charge loyal customers extortionate prices for frankly dismal packages, but also why I pay over £70 per month to be spoken to in such a disgusting way! Not to mention the fact that the agent refused to give me his last time to distinguish him from the team, but it is ok for him to have my full account details, bank details and personal information in front of him to view openly? The lack of transparency there is frankly quite worrying.

I look forward to your prompt response in writing, along with information on how we can terminate or contract with you.

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Complaint - appalled by service

there is no email address. companies are not 'currently' required by law to have one for customers.

here is the complaint procedure. if writing, use registered and keep the receipt should it come to an ombudsman stage.

http://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Consumer%20Complaint%20Code%20of%20Practic...
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi notlistening201

I am incredibly sorry to hear that this has been your experience with us Smiley Sad

I understand that customers do like to recount what has been offered to them and the deals we offer can get a bit convoluted so it's only natural that our customers want to check back with their understanding of the offers, and this is completely acceptable as part of our conversations with you.

The fact that you have had this interaction with us has been fed back and I can see that our complaints team do have this logged for you.

They have been trying to ring you over the last couple of days to discuss this with you, so if there’s an alternative number you’d like me to update for you for them to support you with this then please drop back to me on the pm I’m sending to you that you can find in the next to your forum name.

I hope to hear back from you soon.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

notlistening201
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Your complaints team have rung us once in the last 7 days, and the CEO office has rung us once in the last 7 days and that was only because my husband went out of his way to make contact with them not because anyone chased up this complaint, no one has contacted us at all. Nether left a number for us to return the call and both called at around 2pm / 3pm in the afternoon even though I specifically specified that we are only available after 7pm on our home number. So we were called at 2pm on my mobile number while I was at work an unable to reply. 

If it is completely acceptable for me to recount the nature of the offer I would love an explanation as to why I was told to 'listen' and made to feel like I was stupid and wasting the gentleman's time. He practically accused me of not listening intentionally or being stupid and not understanding. Saying things like, 'I don't even know where you've got that from' and that 'you just weren't listening to what I was saying'. 

It was completely disgraceful and so far we have just had half hearted attempts from you to try and resolve this from your complaints department. One phone call in the two weeks or so since this has happened is just insulting. And in the meantime we've been charged for another extortionate monthly bill from you! 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Good morning.

Thanks for getting back to us with those updates regarding your availability.

My apologies if this has been missed by the teams when arranging to contact you. I have emailed the complaints advisor who is managing the complaint you have raised with us and reconfirmed the times you are available to be contacted by our teams.

I'll keep you posted if I get any further feedback for you.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos