Menu
raventera
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Complaint Verification

Here's the "tldr;" to start with:

After not one, but two terrible experiences in the same day with 'Movers' (mine, where in spite of telling the agent we were moving away from a VM served area, insisted on trying to SELL us more services, and later, my husband, who had an agent who ensured him that there was no path at all to escalate an issue) we finally were told that a complaint would be logged, and we'd hear back within 24-48 hours.

Unsurprisingly, that deadline is now passed; and a call has not been received.  I'm actually doubting if the agent in question actually raised the complaint in the first instance.  Could one of the Mods please check for us, and provide any update?

Many thanks!

And here's the background to the whole story:

we regraded our TV to a lower tariff in Aug '16 - in month 10 of a 12 month term - we made it quite clear we did not want to change either Broadband or Phone.  We understood that our TV would be re-contracted to a new term, but we were happy to take that risk.  Upon coming to cancel, we are informed that ALL services were renewed, and the EEFs amounted to £237 (out of a VM maximum of £240!).  We calculated that the EEFs should have been £60 (6 months x £10 for TV - other 2 services out of contract).

'Movers' agent insisted that we had signed a contract - we did not - so the line was changed to 'a verbal contract is still binding' - which is true of course - but only if the terms are understood. (okay, that's a very vague paraphrase of my understanding of the rules, but you get the idea).

Fact remains - we believed, and were happy to be contracted to 12 months of TV - not the other services - the conversation we had centred many times around NOT CHANGING telephony or internet - so it is realistic to believe those two facets did not change.

To top it all off, the agent then said that the onus is on US to PROVE that this is the case - yet was not willing to assist in providing access to the recording of the call (which apparently is made).  So, the complaint was (apparently) raised, to listen to the call, and to establish the correct facts.

Once we have the facts, we can then ascertain, without doubt, the contract which was formed (if any) and what liability we have (if any) to VM for EEFs.

As a final point - we are moving as our landlord is selling our rented property from under us with VERY little notice; this is a separate ongoing matter, and we have not been able to secure suitable accommodation which has VM provision.  There should be some provision to protect customers from EEFs in these kinds of cases.  It's not like we're just changing our minds for no reason.  It's another absolute pain (and cost) we could do well NOT having to deal with.

LL

0 Kudos
raventera
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Complaint Verification

I know I wrote a lot, but it's been a day.  Nobody has any input into this?

I see more recent posts have had responses now - maybe I smell bad.  C'mon VM!!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

VM take a week or so to get to threads and they are not going to add much other than tell you to phone - a call to retentions may or may not help

unfortunately the T & C's that non of us read are clear - you have bought a package not 3 separate services - change any part of that package and a new contract kicks in on the WHOLE package - that may not be said or it may be said in differing ways to make you happy - if you have proof - a recording for example then you might get somewhere - other than that as said a call to retentions with your side of the story put rationally may reduce the £237 or whatever it is

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - dont worry about that they do much more - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

Tony
0 Kudos
raventera
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony

Helpful answer - thanks for the extra info.

I did speak to Retentions - definitely the most helpful of the bunch.  That said, on the other times I've had to call VM, generally I've got an overseas call centre, but it's never been a problem - maybe once or twice there's been a language barrier - usually with something more technical, but overall, they're far from the worst.

The issue I'm facing really is, as you say, one of proof.  My feeling is that, as the paper contract wasn't signed, then the only enforceable contract is the verbal one, created when we re-graded.  However, if the conversation surrounding the regrade focussed on JUST regrading the TV, and not wanting to change the Broadband and Phone (these points were made very clear!) AND the agent didn't correct us on that fact when referring to the contract - then we are right to believe it's JUST the TV which was affected.

The really frustrating thing is, now, the whole matter is somewhat academic - things took a turn over the weekend, and we were offered a different rental property in a VM serviced area - so we'll just take our service with us.

The complaint still stands as to how we were dealt with, etc. and the fact that, as of writing this, I *still* haven't had my complaint call-back...  that's definitely bad form.  The good news, of course, is no EEFs for me now!  

If a mod can still help with checking on the complaint, I'd be grateful!

LL.

0 Kudos
raventera
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Update - Re: Complaint Verification

Just a brief update:

Not a single attempt to contact us in what is now over a week since the complaint was raised.

VM have our landline, where there is voice mail, and missed calls are visible, and 2 different mobiles, both of which have voice-mail and also record missed calls - this giving them three different ways in which to contact us.

I am actually now beginning to get angry, rather than disappointed.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi raventera

Thanks for keeping us updated with your posts and the situation with regards to the house move and the Early Disconnection Fees

I can see since you originally posted that the EDF issue is no longer a concern as you are moving to a Virgin Media cabled property and I'm glad to see that part of this is resolved for you.

With regards to the complaints question you raised, we normally send a letter or email to confirm receipt of the complaint and then have as a company up to 28 days to resolve the issues you have raised with us.

If towards the end of the duration in time advised you have not received any notification at all from us then please pop back to us and we will investigate this further for you.

Additionally just to touch on contracts, unless you have no email address set up with us as a point of contact, we will always send a copy contract to you via email and it is available to view/print etc. It is provided for us via DocuSign.

Additionally for those without email contacts we still provide paper copies so either way you should get either an electronic version or paper copy of the contract you have taken out with us when changes are made to your services. If you did not receive the email copy from us last year then when you next speak to the teams can you please make sure the email address on the contacts screen we have for you is up to date Smiley Happy

Kind regards.

Karen_A

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos