Menu
Catherinerat
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Compensation loss of earnings when network dpwn

Has anyone got compensation for loss of earnings when the VM internet has been down for over 24 hours?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Compensation loss of earnings when network dpwn

The most you will get is a refund of rental paid. Virgin Media is a residential service. Compensation for loss of earnings is only available on Virgin's Business services.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

In fact in the terms of service it does explicitly say the residential line is not to be used for business so sounds like you are breaching that and have no leg to stand on.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TOS is not legally binding in that regard, however they can advise the customer that there is no loss of earnings cover on a non-business line. They cannot tell people not to do their business on a normal non-business line though, as that is nothing to do with VM, the customer has rented the line, and bar the exception of using the line for scamming, hacking etc, business usage is fine.

But as said they will not get loss of earnings back.

Majide!
0 Kudos
Catherinerat
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone - it is a home internet but do a few hours bookkeeping a week. I wonder if it's possible to have a mixed use account?! Virgin are not charging for the days the network is down so all good!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Mixed accounts do not exist. You either have a residential account with VM or a business account with VM business.

As for compensation you should read Section Q2 of the residential terms of service where consequential losses to a business are specifically excluded:

"2. Apart from as set out in paragraph O1, neither we nor Virgin Media Payments will be liable to you for:

a. any indirect loss or any loss which is not a reasonably foreseeable consequence of Virgin Media or Virgin Media Payments' negligence or breach of this agreement (including loss of profits, business, revenue, contracts or anticipated savings, wasted expenses or any other purely financial losses); or

b. any business loss (including loss of profits, business, revenue, contracts or anticipated savings, wasted expenses or any other purely financial losses) even if such loss was reasonably foreseeable or we and/or Virgin Media Payments had been advised of the possibility of you incurring such loss."

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Andrew-H
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The closest thing to a mixed account would be homeworks. http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/broadband/homeworks.html
This would not cover any loss of earnings, though.
"We will not be liable to you for any business loss (including loss of profits, business, revenue, contracts or anticipated savings, wasted expenses or any other purely financial losses) even if such loss was reasonably foreseeable or we had been advised of the possibility of you incurring such loss."

These are just my opinions. Feel free to completely ignore my advice. The above message may contain sarcasm (if you can't find it, you're not looking hard enough)
Catherinerat
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Andrew
0 Kudos