Menu
DJSubterrain
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Clarification please on possible upgrade

Hi Guys,

At the moment I'm on the Vivid 200 broadband package and the XL TV package, I was reading about an upgrade that was launched in September called "Vivid 200 gamer", with the main differences being as below:

• 20Mbit upload instead of 12Mbit
  • No traffic management on the Gamer package whereas there is apparently traffic management on the Vivid 200 (I was sure that package previously had no traffic management as it was the top tier)
  • Vivid Gamer was apparently £5 on top of your existing package price.

I was reading about the details of this upgrade at the following sites:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/08/virgin-media-add-faster-uploads-200mbps-gamer-broadband...

https://recombu.com/digital/article/virgin-media-vivid-200-gamer-what-is-it#

I just called the support number for upgrades and the operator advised me that it wasn't giving her an upgrade option for 200 Vivid gamer for my package, there was a gamer package being shown but that apparently would have reduced my TV channels, not sure why and I didn't want to downgrade my TV package.

It was offering her an option to add the 300 Homeworks package but this is an additional £9.99 per month and is really meant for people running a business from home.

I am currently using the Hub 2ac so took the opportunity to order the Hub 3 for a self-install for one-off payment of £14.99, could this be why the Vivid 200 gamer wasn't being offered? (Although the 2ac seems to be coping with the Vivid 200 I already have perfectly fine)

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Clarification please on possible upgrade

Vivid gamer requires the HUB3.

No , the 200 tier still has traffic management , so that's the advantage to gamer tier- takes you out of TM and gives you 20Mbps upstream.

Down side is that makes absolutely no difference to gaming. Gaming uses little upstream bandwidth but relies on decent latency (or more correctly jitter) and the gamer tier does nothing for that.

But if you stream to TWITCH or something like that its great.

You should probably look round the Forum as to what an upgrade to HUB3 will do for your gaming....Smiley Sad

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Vivid gamer requires the HUB3.

No , the 200 tier still has traffic management , so that's the advantage to gamer tier- takes you out of TM and gives you 20Mbps upstream.

Down side is that makes absolutely no difference to gaming. Gaming uses little upstream bandwidth but relies on decent latency (or more correctly jitter) and the gamer tier does nothing for that.

But if you stream to TWITCH or something like that its great.

You should probably look round the Forum as to what an upgrade to HUB3 will do for your gaming....Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
DJSubterrain
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, yeah, I had read about problems, primarily with wireless performance, but I assumed that was due to teething problems, are there still issues with the Hub 3 then?

Also, you reckon once I get my Hub 3 (I was told I also don't need to return my Hub 2ac as Virgin are basically going to have everyone on the Hub 3, so don't bother taking the older models back now) I should be able to phone back up and gamer will then be an upgrade option?

The operator also mentioned that Virgin is most likely going to be upgrading people to 300Mbit in a similar upgrade program to the previous 152 to 200 upgrade. I think that's a long way off though and probably still at the discussion stage.

0 Kudos