Menu
ASHHOBBS
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Changes in Bill!

Okay so this is a long one, i was with Virgin on a 12 month contract, after the 12 months they doubled the price of my contract, so i asked to leave, they agreed, the disconnections team gave me a okay deal(27.00 for just 70 broadband -_-)i agreed because i couldn't be handling the hassle of finding another provider when i don't have a BT line installed, so anyway.

the first bill came, my package was listed as 28.00 on 50 broadband, the actual bill came out at 37.98, and when i called then they just said this is normal but not to worry as my next bill will only be 19.00 (as if somehow that is helpful when i budget all my money in advance for the exact values i am told) i pretty much told them to jog on, in the end they apologized, told me to ask for the money back from my bank and pay 27.99 (apparently the woman who told me the contract was wrong and this was the price) i did that.

my next bill came out, it was for 67.90! i called again, confused. Apparently the payment didn't go through quick enough to reflect on my bill, and they charged me a late payment fee... They can't refund it.  EVEN THOUGH THEY TOLD ME TO DO IT!  i cancelled my DD, told them i am only going to pay what i agreed every month which is 28.00 (should be 27.00 but let's not even go there) and i won't pay a penny more until my account is charging me everything correctly, and things are sorted out. 

they didn't even attempt to contact me, charged me 39.75 and sent me a letter saying if i don't pay it they will cut me off, gave me a credit limit. basically making me feel like some kind of poor scumbag all because they lied since i tried to cancel, i said i can't be bothered with this anymore and want to cancel my contract, they said i will have to pay a 240 pound charge! 

basically what i want to know is this, i never agreed to this contract, and now they have added another pound because of the price changes, which i also wasn't notified about. when i called to disconnect i wasn't told any of the information that has came to light, and i also wasn't informed i would be put it a credit balance, actually to be fair all i was told was i would be paying 27.00 for 70 broadband, which i wasn't even put on anyway, and wasn't even that price either. 

what can i do to either A. get the account sorted so i am paying even 29.00 a  month (2 pound isn't an issue here)

or B. cancel completely without paying

Thanks

0 Kudos
algie48
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changes in Bill!

I would suggest you take this up with Trading standards. It appears they are clearly trying to con you.

My experience with this company would suggest that customers who have a variation in contract over the telephone should insist any changes be put in writing.

I am also not happy with VM. My account used to show how much I was paying for each individual item and service provided.

This was changed without my consent and I am now billed for a package "Big Kahuna Bundle" and therefore I do not know what I am paying for individual items within the package.

VM are deliberately hiding item charges and when I Questioned this change I was told the change to bills was made at the request of customers. I do not recall being asked.

They have no email address for complaints and/or correspondence. This again is a deliberate ploy on their part so that customers do not have access  to documented proof of complaints/correspondence.

I find it a complete waste of time entering into telephone calls as experience shows invariably I am connected to someone who does not have the ability to communicate in acceptable levels of English language.

Virgin Media customer service in my experience. is nothing short of deplorable. 

ASHHOBBS
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

"I find it a complete waste of time entering into telephone calls as experience shows invariably I am connected to someone who does not have the ability to communicate in acceptable levels of English language.
Virgin Media customer service in my experience. is nothing short of deplorable. "
cosign this
I honestly haven't got time, i work, i am in my second year of uni, i have a daughter to look after, and my internet barely works anyway and randomly disconnects, i just need some quick answers, and with 1 hour plus call times, i doubt that is going to ever happen.
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You should have received a contract which you could you to back up your claim. Previously they used to post them out and, given that the time to change your mind has been reduced to fourteen days, it could mean that your right to cancel period was up by the time you received it. However,for the last six months they have been sending the contracts by email.

Have you got yours?  I have certainly used mine in the past to challenge what I was being charged.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
ASHHOBBS
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

the problem i have is they didn't send me a contract, they sent me an email detailing the changes to my package, but the first thing they sent they told me was wrong when i called, and the second one is so confusing and doesn't reflect what i was told in anyway... and is more then what i even agreed. When i called and said i never signed a contract (which is true) they said i don't have to anymore and if i say "yes" to something on the phone, that is the same as signing a contract? which i am sure can't be true...

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ASHHOBBS wrote:

the problem i have is they didn't send me a contract, they sent me an email detailing the changes to my package, but the first thing they sent they told me was wrong when i called, and the second one is so confusing and doesn't reflect what i was told in anyway... and is more then what i even agreed. When i called and said i never signed a contract (which is true) they said i don't have to anymore and if i say "yes" to something on the phone, that is the same as signing a contract? which i am sure can't be true...

I think that is the process now, an email first, although mine contained pricing details, followed some days later by the contract, which had a different total price but, since the difference was less than a pound I did not bother questioning it. It does however say something about VM's billing system which is notoriously poor.

From your perspective, having called to question the contract, if they were not prepared to change it, you should have said forget it I am cancelling, but that would have to been within fourteen days of the agreeing the deal.

As regards agreeing to the contract, if you continue to use the services then it is taken that you have agreed to the contract. 

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
ASHHOBBS
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

this would be fair only mine was different by 11.00?
and yea exactly, i agreed to something that obviously wasn't true, i called to cancel because of that, apparently I have agreed to a whole new 12 month contract and can't cancel without paying 240 pounds, but how can i agree to something, that isn't what i was told i would be getting?
that would be the same as saying "you can have this wall for 100 pounds" then being built a fence, and them saying well it if you want us to take it out you will have to pay 200 pounds... you say no, but you still have to pay the 100 pounds because you keep the fence there...
in any other exchange of service there would be an equal understanding, and a clear and concise pattern for the exchange, with virgin it is just;
we tell you how much you will be paying, if you don't agree there is nothing you can do about it, because we will only tell you after the time you can cancel and we will charge you a ton of money
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi ASHHOBBS

Thanks for taking the time to explain the issues you have had to us on the forums and a warm welcome to the community.

Due to the nature of billing queries requiring that we clear security with customers the two ways our customers contact us for this type of query are either:

• Via Webchat
  • Via the phone on 150 or 0345 454 1111

I appreciate you have been in touch with us regarding this and are looking to find a resolution here. If you could try the Webchat teams again during the hours below, that would be great.

Day                   Open   Close

Monday           8am     8pm

Tuesday          8am     8pm

Wednesday    8am    8pm

Thursday        8am     8pm

Friday               8am     8pm

Saturday         9am     5pm

Sunday           Closed

I am also going to send a pm to you for me to support you a little further. You can find this in the envelope next to your forum name.

Speak soon Smiley Happy

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos