Menu
chrisdocker
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Cancelling part of contract

I don't have tv. I don't take incoming calls or make business arrangements over the phone. I have twice written to virgin explaining this and asking to stop my tv contract. They write back saying they will phone me, then they write to say my query is 'closed'. Do I need a lawyer??
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cancelling part of contract

No, you just need to make business arrangements over the phone
0 Kudos
chrisdocker
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

With respect, that's not what I asked.

The conclusion is that Virgin refuse to do formal business by email or letter, and the website has no facility (that I can see) for downsizing one's contract.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi chrisdocker, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you've not had much luck getting things sorted yet. 

There are certain things that we can only do by directly speaking with the account holder. Whenever you write in, we will call you to save you calling us. 

If you don't accept incoming calls then we would be unable to get through and therefore the query would be closed. 

If you would like to cancel your TV Services, you will need to speak to the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111. They will get things sorted for you right away Smiley Happy

Let us know how the call goes. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
chrisdocker
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I gather from the repetitive replies that the answer to my question is yes, I do need a lawyer.

I have explained until I am blue in the face that, for reasons I do not wish to discuss, I do not do business by phone. I don't "just have to do anything" as you put it. You are charging me for a service I don't want. You have correspondence from me, the account holder, verifying that. Whether you think you need a phone call or not, you have no authority to take payment for a service that is not being used and that a request to cancel has been issued in writing.

You will be aware, or should be, that under the Direct Debit Guarantee Scheme that when a payment is made wrongly under a direct debit, the consumer is entitled to receive a refund from their bank - even if the fault lay with the mandate holder rather than with the bank itself. Therefore action can simultaneously be taken via the bank.

I don't care what your 'normal procedure' is. You are not entitled to keep taking money from me for something I don't want. It is tantamount to theft.

I think it really would be in your interests to sort this out amicably without making demands about phone calls. It really isn't that complicated.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

chrisdocker wrote:
With respect, that's not what I asked.

The conclusion is that Virgin refuse to do formal business by email or letter, and the website has no facility (that I can see) for downsizing one's contract.

all true ,and probably all legal. you can upgrade online, you can only downgrade by phone.

I think you'll find that you also cannot close a sky account without speaking to them.

you can stir the pot somewhat by instructing your bank to cancel the DD, but that may cost you unless you plan to fight this all the way - through debt collectors, bailiffs, summonses. and win... but that will trigger letters saying " what have you done"  which you can then reply to ...

FYi , as I happen to have my old contract to hand.  [ sign and keep this copy]  it is " a hire agreement regulated by the CCA..." because you have their hub...

... there is nothing about how to cancel after the initial 7 days. There may aave been a separate T&C document which I do not have handy and there may be a copy of Terms and Conditions online

there is a registered company address, at foot of contract page , at Media House...RG279UP

0 Kudos
davetherave
Up to speed
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

chrisdocker wrote:

I have explained until I am blue in the face that, for reasons I do not wish to discuss, I do not do business by phone. I don't "just have to do anything" as you put it. You are charging me for a service I don't want. You have correspondence from me, the account holder, verifying that. Whether you think you need a phone call or not, you have no authority to take payment for a service that is not being used and that a request to cancel has been issued in writing.

I totally agree with you about conducting business by phone - I do not even own a phone (Except a pay as you go for emergency only) - I have great difficulty using one and I would certainly never give such details as my Credit Card etc - How insecure is that?

If you have gave them everything in writing then that is legally binding
The main reason any  legal dealings are done in writing is because it is obviously a record regarding proof and can be called upon at any time in the future
Unlike a phone call where there would probably be no record of what was actually said (From the user anyway) and would be a distant memory if trying to recall what was actually agreed in say 2 years time

Hope you have a copy of the correspondence (If not e-mail) Seek legal advice

Dave

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Kath_F

I am no longer in contract. It is my understanding that should I write to your main contact address advising them that I wish to cancel my contract with 30 days notice then that is that.

Can you confirm that, should I do so, then I will not needed to be contacted by phone. If not, why not?

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
davetherave
Up to speed
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

chrisdocker wrote:
I don't have tv. I don't take incoming calls or make business arrangements over the phone. I have twice written to virgin explaining this and asking to stop my tv contract. They write back saying they will phone me, then they write to say my query is 'closed'. Do I need a lawyer??

Here is the Template  you can download to do it in writing and demand a reply from Which

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/letter/letter-to-cancel-a-contract-for-services-made-at-a-dis...

0 Kudos
wanderluster
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, trust Which, but I think it's pretty much covered. I've just opened a new letter from Virgin Media offering me a new contract at an exorbitant rate for land line and broadband only, not at advertised rates but for a total of more than I am paying WITH the TV (L) access I don't want or use. In other words, yes "you can reduce your services" but no way are we going to reduce your bill. Due to my work, which involves a lot of overseas travel, I don't open mail quickly to fit in with other people's short deadline demands so it seems their "offer" has expired anyway.

This is their idea of 'retention.If they were a small company my local newspaper would have a much less word for it. I am almost surprised their address isn't "Nigeria."

(same poster -- I can't remember the password if it comes up as a different user -- sorry, my life doesn't revolve around virginmedia)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos