Menu
skeggman
Up to speed
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Cancellation scam!

I cancelled on the weekend following the price hike letter. The lady was polite, I told her I was not interested in any special offers as I was upset about consistent breaches of contract mid-term and I was leaving on principal. She expressed regret but helped me out.

I asked how leaving worked. She told me that given the price rise, I could leave with 30 days notice without penalty. She asked if I wanted to keep my phone number, I said 'yes please if that's possible?'. She said absolutely, what I needed to do was to give the number to my new supplier who would request a transfer and they would surrender the number. To do this, she would send out what looked like a contract amendment but was in fact just separating my phone line for the disconnection. She categorically told me that this would not effect the charges that I received. She then told me that all I needed to do was to arrange a transfer to a new supplier before the 30 days was up but I would still be charged until the end of my 30 day notice for my services regardless of whether I used them. I asked whether there were any penalty charges and she categorically said 'no'.

I get my bill today and it's £20 more than normal. After an hour's argument with 'customer services' including a chat with the fairly confrontational 'Manager' , I seemed to get nowhere. He seems to be implying that as BT have requested my phone line 8 days before my contract terminates, I lose all of my packaging discounts and have to stump up an extra £20. I asked for an explanation in writing, he told me 'we're not going to do that because I've told you verbally, it's not needed'. He did not seem interested that as I'd been given bad advise that I could not prove which had lead to this cancellation penalty, I wanted it in writing so I could refer to it. He continued to refuse to help.

Rant over, does anyone know who to contact to sort this out, I've already spent an hour on the phone going around in circles and I can't face another pointless dispute when all I want to do is pay the final month's bill (at the rate I agreed to pay in January, excluding my cancellation penalty) until the end of my 30 day notice and go to a supplier who values my custom!

Any help would be appreciated, what little love I had left for VM hap pretty much evaporated.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cancellation scam!

Hi skeggman

I've been looking into this for you since I first picked up your post the other day. With respect to the complaint that has been logged, I'd like to take some time to discuss this a little further with you via a pm if that's okay as this does require I confirm some information with you.

You can find this in the pm up by your forum name that looks like this:

If you couold get back in touch with me on this, that would be great.

Kind regards and speak soon.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

All Replies
adecooper
Dialled in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ofcom?

skeggman
Up to speed
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It's just so draining. Probably going to be the answer thoguh, it's a point of principal rather than a case of £20!

skeggman
Up to speed
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The manager is  This is not personal information, it is relevant to my grievance. He is a company representative who willingly gave his name to a customer. Please do not sensor my posts for including relevant information without at least having the courtesy to contact me.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

From the Forum guidelines

• Do not post your own, or others personally identifiable information, such as account number, passwords or email addresses.

Anyone's full name would be identifiable, a conversation on the phone is not in the public domain.

skeggman
Up to speed
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, although my prior email did not contravene the forum guidelines, disputing it openly did. Please disregard my last post.

skeggman
Up to speed
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I disagree. I would never put an 'account number, passwords or email address' into the comments field. David gave his name freely as an identified representitave of the company, this information is in the public domain. His name is relevant to my grievance. Can I type Richard Branson's name or is that personally identifiable?

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi skeggman

I appreciate you getting in touch with us about the complaint with the billing.

I can see the complaint was assigned to a complaints handler for you on the 5th and these will be picked up and processed in date order.

The teams will get back in touch with you regarding this. This can take up to 28 days from receipt of the original complaint. I have also checked in on the account to see if there is anything I can do to support you and updated the complaint that the teams will get back to your regarding accordingly.

With respect to the Moderator edits, I apologise but if a name you post either partially or full on the forums is not one that would be widely recognised such as Richard Branson, who obviously is a rather famous individual, then we have to protect their security on our forums. If a first name is highly unique too this would again apply.

Given the surname of the individual you mentioned too, this means it's all the more likely others may be able to track down personal data about them so we ask that personal data about yourself or others not be shared publically to protect identities as much as possible. We are obligated to look after both our customers and our colleagues in this respect equally.

Kind regards.

Karen

Virgin Media Forum Team

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
skeggman
Up to speed
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen. Thank you for confirming that my complaint has finally been acknowleged, I had given up hope with your webchat, facebook, telephone and forum teams failing to furnish me with this simple piece of information having tried numerous times yesterday to get confirmation. I suggest however that they need to resolve my complaint before the billing payment date, considering the difficulty in extracting basic information from Virgin Media, I can only imagine the trauma of trying to extract my refund!

In relation to your manager's name, I think we will have to agree to disagree on how appropriate it is to name him, however I will refrian from putting his name out there whilst my complaint is being processed. I might suggest however that id he had not been quite so abbrasive / useless I might have been less inclined to do so in the first place.

Please can you add to my record that if you do not concede to my billing adjustment request I will require your arbitration service as I am unwilling to accept the charge under any circumstances.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi skeggman

I've been looking into this for you since I first picked up your post the other day. With respect to the complaint that has been logged, I'd like to take some time to discuss this a little further with you via a pm if that's okay as this does require I confirm some information with you.

You can find this in the pm up by your forum name that looks like this:

If you couold get back in touch with me on this, that would be great.

Kind regards and speak soon.

Karen_A
Forum Team

skeggman
Up to speed
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

A big thanks to Karen_A for resolving the issue! 

0 Kudos