Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6 (211 Views)

Cancellation Fee Charge!

I was recently forced out of my home after my landlords bank evicted me due to the landlord not paying his mortgage. I called customer services to cancel the order as I was being made homeless I could not take the broadband with me. It was cancelled I explained that I could not pay the fee as I was being evicted and emailed you a copy of the eviction notice, it was agreed that due to the eviction being forced that i wouldn't charged (you check all your calls on this as they are logged!)

However one week later I managed to find somewhere to reside and your team called on the off chance that they could help and informed me that after they check the address I could take the service with me (see what you did there by saying i could the service and have a new account setup)

You set a date for the installation to take place. They day came for the install (after a four week wait) I sat waiting for the installation team arrive only to inform me that the cables in the street had been marked to be pulled up underground however they have never been pulled up as the house has never had any form of broadband installed, as he spoke from experience informed me that you have to apply for a permit from the council which could take up to six months to a year to get. He spoke to his manager and team who arranged for the install to take place four weeks later and guaranteed that when he would come back he could install. On the day of the installation I received a phone call from your team to tell me they have to reschedule for another date as you had not received the permit from the council.

This was ridiculous! He wanted to reschedule for three month down the line!

Firstly you should never been able to offer a service if you are unable to provide it, you where fully aware of the situation in regards to permits and the council and the time that they take to authorise them. No customer is going to wait up to a year in order to receive broadband. You have broken your own contract and terms and conditions by selling a service that you could not provide and now you are are trying to charge me the cancellation fee! 

You than after me cancelling my DD from my bank went ahead and still took £240.00 without my consent. I have spoke with your customer installation team on the phone in regards to this and I was told I would not be charged because you simply couldn't provide me with a service in an appropriate time scale.

I have emailed you with no reply, as a last resort am posting this here to warn others of how you cleverly misled me into thinking I could take the service with me. I have also took the complaint to the Financial Ombudsman and trading standards to investigate further.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Dialled in
Message 4 of 6 (240 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by BettyJ2009
2 weeks ago

Re: Cancellation Fee Charge!

Sweet Jesus you've really been through the mill and the way you've been treated is appalling. I really hope you get it sorted and I wish you all the best for the future.
Not really helping with the actual issue at hand but I wish you the best of luck

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6 (167 Views)

Hi BettyJ2009

I am very sorry to hear about the poor experience you have had with the cancellation and subsequent potential new connection issues.

I’d like to see if we can do something to help with the issues you have raised.

For us to do so I will be sending a PM to you that you can find in the envelope next to your forum name on the right.

I hope you get a chance to pop back to me on this.

Kindest regards and speak soon.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

Joining in
Message 3 of 6 (140 Views)

Finally took a month for someone to reply only to be told that even though I was evicted I still have to pay an extortionist cancellation fee! I was then informed that I could have took up the service with another provider whilst virgin tried to sort out the issue getting a permit from the council. Know correct me if am wrong, but does anyone know of a internet service that offers temperory contracts? Most are 12/18 mths this was never offered to me! I had to make call after call after call to speak to people who didn't understand what was going on and not once did anyone offer me an alternative all I received was an apology. Now being a single mum and recently just got over a forced eviction and was nearly made homelessness as well as the stresss and the added costs this has had a major impact on me, to add insult to injury virgin are sending me demanding letters, taking money out of my account after DD were cancelled, now receiving texts and constant phone calls for money I don't have or should I pay for. Someone from virgin should have come out and informed that there was going to be an issue with the install but no the sales team were quick to set up a service that they had no idea if it can be installed or not and trapping me into a contract that they couldn't provide! Discracful customer service and appalling.
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 4 of 6 (241 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by BettyJ2009
2 weeks ago

Sweet Jesus you've really been through the mill and the way you've been treated is appalling. I really hope you get it sorted and I wish you all the best for the future.
Not really helping with the actual issue at hand but I wish you the best of luck
Joining in
Message 5 of 6 (117 Views)

Thank you for your reply yes indeed I have but none of this is being taken into account with my dispute Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6 (62 Views)

Hi BettyJ2009

Whilst I understand the processes have not supported you in our initial interactions, in this instance I can see that this has been picked up since we last spoke and that the issues you have raised have now been addressed to your satisfaction.

Kindest regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"