Menu
Maisieprince
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Cancel due to price hike

I have only just discovered that Virgin have increased their prices from 1 November. I called yesterday to cancel and they say they sent me a letter in August and so am out of the 30 day cancellation period. I have not received any letter and as my bills doubled in September due to the initial 6 month offer expiry I think I would have had something to say about another price rise in such a short period. I have raised a complaint and am waiting for a manager to contact me.

Has anyone else not received notification of this price rise and managed to cancel? I am disgusted with the service and the price increases.

Incidentally, I only wish to cancel the TV service. I am happy to keep Broadband.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cancel due to price hike

Hi Maisie,

you could try calling Retentions to see if you can renegotiate the products you want at a better price.  Call during normal office hours to get the UK based team on 150 from a Virgin phone or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone and follow the prompts to 'Thinking of leaving us'  ...  1  >  4  >  5

Good luck.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
WillBlud
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi I tried to cancel based on the price hike, but like yourself was told that I was informed of this already and the 30 day period since then had passed. It's incredibly frustrating since they want you to prove that you did not receive the emails which is incredibly difficult if you don't have them! The retentions team were as helpful as they could be in this situation and were able to give me a reduced rate, although this did change a number of services I receive, particularly a drop in broadband speeds and tv channels (not a major issue for me, maybe more so for my partner who loves playing online competitive games). If you went for something like that you would need to be aware that it is starting a new contract so it would end 18 months after that new date, NOT when your original contract was due to. There is a chance they might not explain this to you but I was fortunate that the guy on the phone was helpful and did let me know it was new.

Regarding wanting to cancel your TV, there's a high chance you won't be able to do this since they don't appear to have a broadband only package whether it be for new or existing customers. 

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

WillBlud wrote:

Regarding wanting to cancel your TV, there's a high chance you won't be able to do this since they don't appear to have a broadband only package whether it be for new or existing customers. 

Good advice about the new contract period but on the subject of packages, they do a broadband only deal ... check out the options here ... http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/compare.html

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
WillBlud
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Dave_cq wrote:
Good advice about the new contract period but on the subject of packages, they do a broadband only deal ... check out the options here ... http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/compare.html

I stand corrected!

0 Kudos
Maisieprince
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I have no interest in any changes to the TV package though, I just want it cancelled. I can go back to Sky for a 75% discount for 12 months meaning my TV package would only cost me £9.50 for that period. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Maisieprince, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

We're really sorry to hear that you're wanting to cancel your service with us. 

The team is right, we did send notification about the price rise to any customers it was affecting back in August / September. We then gave 30 days for customers to let us know if they wanted to cancel due to the price rise. 

This meant that the cut off date would have been the end of October. At which point the increase would have already appeared on the bills as you get billed a month in advance. This would also give those a chance who may not have seen the price increase notification to get in touch. 

If you are within your minimum term then cancelling the TV Service completely wouldn't be an option unless you're willing to pay any early termination charges. You can however move it down to the lowest package. Depending on your broadband speed this could work out to be free Smiley Happy

Speak to the relations team on 150 / 0345 454 1111 and they can go through any options you have Smiley Happy

Let us know how the call goes. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
dbrowne88
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Maisieprince, I was in the exact same situation - I had been informed of previous price increases, but not the latest one. It was only when my bill came in and I saw the increase. Contacted the team, who told me the same - they had sent a letter out to confirm this, which I never received.

Anyway, hope you get sorted out.
0 Kudos
Maisieprince
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. A manager has now called me back and my contract is cancelled from 18 December.
0 Kudos
Maisieprince
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

All sorted. My contract is now cancelled from 18 December after a call from a manager.
0 Kudos