Menu
Fletcher49
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can Not Supply What They Offered

We have recently signed up to a TV/Broadband/Phone package. On installation was told that the phone could not be connected as necessary equipment was not installed in the street cabinet. Virgin went ahead and ported our number over from BY anyway so we were left with no landline telephone. As a temporary measure I suggested to Virgin that the put a call divert on our landline number to my mobile (it works but not an ideal solution). Have now been told it could be months before phone line is available. Am looking at an alternative landline provider but Virgin have said if I transfer my phone number from them (even though it is not connected to our premises) they are likely to put up the price of the TV and Broadband and I could be paying £50 per month than I am now PLUS the line rental etc for the alternative phone line.

Does anybody have any knowledge, advice or suggestions as to how to hold them to their contract.

Thanks in advance for help 

Fletcher49

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can Not Supply What They Offered

if there is no phone capacity then theres not a lot than you can do apart from try for the best deal you can with them and look for a phone line elsewhere or just use mobiles

the way they price packages i dont think your overall cost to VM without the line rental will change much - yes they will knock the £19.99 or whatever it is off your bill but that amount - give or take - will be factored back in to the BB and TV - its about discounts for various parts of the package - if you have taken more than evening and weekends which has no further on cost than the line rental obviously that will come off the bill

no idea who you have been discussing this with but retentions is the only dept worth the call - they will try to give you the best deal for what you are having to take

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - dont worry about that they do much more - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

Tony
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If your contract was for a TV/Broadband/Phone package and Virgin Media are unable to provide all of those services in that package then they are in breach of contract.

You should be able cancel your contract, without penalty, and either renegotiate a different contract for the services Virgin Media can actually provide, or make alternative arrangements with another provider. 

Remember, contract agreements work both ways, something service providers are more than happy to forget when it suits them.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

if there is no phone capacity then theres not a lot than you can do apart from try for the best deal you can with them and look for a phone line elsewhere or just use mobiles

the way they price packages i dont think your overall cost to VM without the line rental will change much - yes they will knock the £19.99 or whatever it is off your bill but that amount - give or take - will be factored back in to the BB and TV - its about discounts for various parts of the package - if you have taken more than evening and weekends which has no further on cost than the line rental obviously that will come off the bill

no idea who you have been discussing this with but retentions is the only dept worth the call - they will try to give you the best deal for what you are having to take

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - dont worry about that they do much more - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

Tony
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If your contract was for a TV/Broadband/Phone package and Virgin Media are unable to provide all of those services in that package then they are in breach of contract.

You should be able cancel your contract, without penalty, and either renegotiate a different contract for the services Virgin Media can actually provide, or make alternative arrangements with another provider. 

Remember, contract agreements work both ways, something service providers are more than happy to forget when it suits them.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Fletcher49
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony. Customer services are getting back to me next week and if no joy with them will try Retentions.

My main gripe is we were offered a very good deal and everything that has been put to us so far looks as if it is going to work out more expensive.

0 Kudos
Fletcher49
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Sololobo. We signed up just after they had cabled our street so were given a very good offer and we have budgeted for the offered price for the next 12 months. I am going to look but don't think I'll be able to get a similar deal with, say Sky, at anywhere near the same price.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HI Fletcher49

Welcome to the Community, I'm sorry for the problems you're experiencing with your telephone service recently.

I've located your account to take a look and can see action has been planned with a senior engineer to progress this issue. I've sent you confirmation details regarding this in a private message, which you can view by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page. 

We'd love to hear how it goes

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos