Menu
fleetville
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Cable problem

Hi. While laying some paving slabs in my front garden I uncovered the cable. I didn't damage it but it needs to be buried deeper to avoid future damage. The garden wall  is about 2m from the house.   

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cable problem

If is a more modern drop, it should be in green trunking, & buried to about a spades depth. A lot of the older drops were laid unprotected. I would have a talk with Customer Services, but there is normally a £99 charge for callouts that are non fault related.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If is a more modern drop, it should be in green trunking, & buried to about a spades depth. A lot of the older drops were laid unprotected. I would have a talk with Customer Services, but there is normally a £99 charge for callouts that are non fault related.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
fleetville
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice. I'll contact Customer Services.

0 Kudos
AlecEdworthy
Up to speed
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

nodrogd wrote:

Unfortunately that is not always the case.  I had cable installed this week and they appeared to bury the cable from the edge of my property (middle of the grass verge) to the wall running between my garden and that of my neighbour (around a 2 or 3 metre run) without any trunking or other protection, but I would guess it was around a spade's depth (albeit a fairly short spade I'd say).  The box which is supposed to exist in the ground at the edge of my property also came out as they were running the connection so they just chucked that away, shoved a rag into the hole and covered it over with soil instead.  I could be wrong but I didn't see any trunking come out of their van at all and I know they threw the box away because they commented to me about it at the time.

Alec

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Some contractors are better than others. The way I have described is the way it should be done. I'm sure the Forum Team will be able to get this fixed if you are not happy with the install. Post some photos if you think this would be helpfull.

0 Kudos
oojimmyflip
Dialled in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Front Gardens especially in modern builds will have electricity cables buried at a shallow depth

sometimes the builders will fill the front garden with hard-core before laying the soil and grass/slabs

if your going to dig deeper be careful you don't hit the electricity meter cable especially if your

meters are on the front of the building.

0 Kudos
fleetville
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Cable front garden.JPG

As you can see, the trunking is only just under the slab level. Surely this can't be considered satisfactory?

Andy 

0 Kudos
AlecEdworthy
Up to speed
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

fleetville wrote:

As you can see, the trunking is only just under the slab level. Surely this can't be considered satisfactory?

Andy 

You might want to post a slightly larger image (or select a larger size in the attach window) as that one is a little too small to discern much from it.

A

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi fleetville, 

Thanks for your post and apologies for the issues you had with the installation. 

As we are unable to look directly into this, I have sent you a private message on where to go from here. Just click on the little red envelope at the top left hand side of the page to access your inbox. Smiley Happy

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
fleetville
Joining in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi. I've had another site visit but the work that was done was not what I wanted

because I didn't have the opportunity to tell the engineer what was needed. I didn't even see him, so he laid another cable on top of the old one!

Can I have another visit to sort this out please?

0 Kudos