Menu
mediocre
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Broadband only and feeling a bit cheated

I'm just wondering how many other people are in the same position as me - i've been a broadband only customer for the last four years, as have no need for TV or home phone. Previously Virgin have offered a loyalty discount to my account, and have even offset certain price rises, meaning that for the past year i've paid around £18-20 for the 50MB service - which I feel is reasonable.

Now the loyalty discount is expiring and i'm being told there is absolutely no way to bring down my bill again effectively meaning a £15 increase to £33 per month! I'm feeling a bit fobbed off as I was told by a customer service supervisor before Christmas that I would be able to renew my loyalty discount if I contacted them in February.

I can't help but feel that Virgin are holding customers like myself to ransom, as there are no other ISPs in the UK offering broadband without a phone line (barring a few tiny ones not available in my area) - I just wanted to know if there was anybody else in the same boat - or has managed to get any concessions from VM?

0 Kudos
andyjstew
Up to speed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband only and feeling a bit cheated

Hi mediocre,

You could perhaps look at your package online and see what upgrade options are available, i know that if you have the 50MB broadband, player TV (freeview basically), and the talk weekend phone package it's £29.00 per month.

If you don't want to use the phone or tv box just stick the box in a cupboard.

I took the phone service as it was cheaper but it;s never been or will be used.

0 Kudos
mediocre
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Odd, that bundle on the offers and upgrade page for me is coming up as £46 per month inc. line rental, then there is £15 activation and £40 installation fee on top of that!

0 Kudos
andyjstew
Up to speed
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Gees that's pretty steep.

Look like you might have to go down the extreme route unfortunately.

I'd call up customer service and request to cancel your broadband service due to the cost and see what they can offer you, if they make a measly or no offer at all stick to your guns and proceed to cancel, they will then put you through to the retention's team who have a lot more powers to retain existing customers so they may be able to offer you something better?

I personally change my phone / tv & broadband supplier every 12 months when the contract runs out as they can never offer what you get as a new customer, bit of a pain being without broadband / tv for around 1 week per year but the money saved far outweighs the inconvenience.

I have recently moved to Virgin from Sky and over the next 12 months i will have saved £400+ by switching to VM as my Sky Introductory offer finished after 12 months, Virgin will no doubt go up at the end of my 12 months too but then i'll be going back to whoever else has an offer on at that time :-)

motogoat
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Have you considered Vodafone - they do fibre broadband + phone for £26pm (no line rental with fibre service)

0 Kudos
mediocre
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I managed to get them down to £25 per month, which is better than nothing and i'm more than happy with the service i've been receiving up to this point - plus it beats the other deals available on the market. So we'll see next year if it's time to move on - thanks for your help.