Menu
ntree
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Bizarre cancellation fees and poor customer service

Posting on here as im hoping ill get a response from someone who is able to help. Just spent 50 minutes on the phone to three different people, all of which were unable to give me a straight answer or help me. 

I signed up to the 'Player' bundle in November, with a 12 month contract. I am now 3 months pregnant, which for me means i am moving in with my partner (who has a sky set up) for a few months before we purchase a property together later in the year, so i cant take Virgin with me and ideally id like to cancel.

I will move early February, at which point i will have 9 months left on my contract. My contract costs £29 a month. They have quoted me £240.00 to cancel, plus 1 bill of £29.00, so £269.00 total - how is this fair? 

If i were to continue to pay my monthly bill of £29.00 i would pay £261.00 - how can i be charged cancellation fees of more than my contracts worth? Each time i asked this to a customer service agent they transferred me through to someone else, one person in the billing team then back to cancellations (each time not speaking to the new agent so i had to explain the whole thing again and pass security 3 times).. terrible customer service. 

It works out cheaper for me to continue paying monthly which is just utterly bizarre, i know its only a few pounds but i cant believe how inflexible they have been as a company. I asked to temporarily pause my contract for the few months im with my partner - with the idea that i take up Virgin in my new place - i was told this isn't an option. I asked if its possible to give them back the equipment, as i dont want to hold on to it during two moves, and was told no. Also, i imagine it will cause problems for the new tenant of my flat if there is already an account still open in my name and active.

I have had several problems with service since joining and have called several times - complete TV outages, at no point have i been offered anything in the way of compensation for them not holding up their side of the contract.

Its safe to say i wont be rejoining after this customer service experience. As per my sign up email:

"We'll send you a contract

You'll get a letter and a contract from us through the post. Please sign our copy and send it back to us as soon as you can. We'll also include a guide which details things to do now, on the day of your installation and afterwards."

They have never sent me a contract, nor have i signed anything so i cant read it to find out if what they're telling me is correct - can someone help?

0 Kudos
ntree
Joining in
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bizarre cancellation fees and poor customer service

I've just noticed this from the Virgin Website?

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early-...

Early disconnection fees

Service tier

Early disconnection fee*

Phone

Broadband

TV Solus

TV Duals/Triples

M

£10.00

L

£10.00

XL

£10.00

XXL

£10.00

S

£15.00

M

£15.00

L

£20.00

XL

£25.00

XXL

£30.00

XXXL

£35.00

Player

£0.00

Mix

£16.50

Fun

£20.00

Full House

£25.00

Player

£0.00

Mix

£3.00

Fun

£10.00

Full House

£12.00

*per month left on minimum contract period

For example, if you have 3 months left to run on your contract and the bundle of services you're cancelling is:
Phone size: M, Broadband size: M and TV size: Mix

the Early Disconnection Fee that you’ll be charged is:

£10.00 (for Phone M) + £15.00 (for Broadband M) + £3.00 (for Mix TV) = £28.00 multiplied by 3 (i.e. 3 months left on your minimum contract), giving a total Early Disconnection Fee of £84.00.

Note: The maximum early disconnection fee is capped at £240. Early disconnection fees are not payable for any month where you have already paid for your line rental in advance on Line Rental Saver.

Why have i been quoted £240.00 if Player is £0.00?

0 Kudos