Menu
tonyh4
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Billed for calls I have not made

Hi,

Recently I had a cal from someone who said I had called them, this happened on two more occasions. I called Virgin at approx 19;40 on the 9th Feb. I was assured that no calls had been registered to my phone and I would not be billed. However because of noise on the line an engineer was booked to visit.The engineer arrived at the agreed time (Last Monday btw) and told me that the be,external connection to my phone.

My billl arrived this morning with a charge of £13.20 for 35 calls. Calls which I have not made. I called virgin and tried to explain what had happened pointing out that :-

a) I do not use this phone for calls and this could be variviedd by looking at past bills.

b) That I had reported this issue prior to this bill and been told that no calls were recorded and I would not therefore incur A cost

c) That I live a lone so no one else could have made these calls and also that I am oout most of the time anyway.

Only to be told I must have made the calls (ergo I am a liar and a fruster). The line was checked and no faults found ( not surprising as last week an engineer fixed the the connections.)

Now bare in mind I have been with virgin and its predecessor Blue Yonder for the best part of 18 years to be practically be accused of lying does not rest well to say the least. When I asked to speak to a manager (which never happened) I was given a £5 refund. As this was all that they seemed to want to do and I sensed the ladies( sorry cant recall her name) frustration I accepted.

I do so hope that that famous 'self made man' Sir Richard enjoys the fruits of my labour as he continues to avoid paying as much tax as he can as he dictates what he sees as the democratic process from his island in the sun. Yes I am very very angry

escapee
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Billed for calls I have not made

This happened to me today. 

I never use my landline, the only reason I have it is because - ridiculously it is cheaper to have a landline/broadband package than broadband alone.

At 7.45am, I had a missed call on my home phone. After dialing 1471 I realised there was a lot of static on the line and I could barely hear the automated number being given out.  As I didn't recognise the number, I hung up.

A few minutes later, I dialed 1471 again to double check the number with the intention of going through my contacts list to see if it was of any importance.  Upon picking up the handset a second time, I could faintly hear a recorded message stating "calls to this number are charged at £15.98 per call and £7.99 per minute"  panicking, I instantly pressed the receiver button to disconnect but the call would not terminate.

I placed the handset back on the cradle for a minute or two and lifted it once again to see if the call had disconnected.  This time I heard "the number you have called has not been recognised, please replace the handset and try again" - yet I hadn't made any calls except 1471.

Worried, I unplugged all the phones in my home, called Virgin Media via my mobile and tried to explain the situation to the Asian Call Centre handler - she tested the line and told me there were no obvious faults and informed that an Engineer would be booked to take a look.

This evening, I logged into my online Virgin account to see if I had been billed for the message I heard earlier on my phone. It appears account information only updates every 24hrs and so I won't actually know until tomorrow - what I have observed though is 12 previous calls, to very suspicious numbers using MY phone line - none of which I have made.  

I've just got off the phone with a second Call Centre Advisor and she reassured me that there was most probably a 'crossed line' and that once this has been confirmed by the Engineer, I will receive a refund of any costs incurred.

Rather than this being a simple case of 'crossed lines' with a general member of the public, looking at the numbers called and how very similar they all, it seems like this is the work of an organised gang or dodgy business - to date I'm only a few pounds out of pocket but when my contract is up, the landline is going..... end of!

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

escapee wrote:

This happened to me today. 

I never use my landline, the only reason I have it is because - ridiculously it is cheaper to have a landline/broadband package than broadband alone.

At 7.45am, I had a missed call on my home phone. After dialing 1471 I realised there was a lot of static on the line and I could barely hear the automated number being given out.  As I didn't recognise the number, I hung up.

A few minutes later, I dialed 1471 again to double check the number with the intention of going through my contacts list to see if it was of any importance.  Upon picking up the handset a second time, I could faintly hear a recorded message stating "calls to this number are charged at £15.98 per call and £7.99 per minute"  panicking, I instantly pressed the receiver button to disconnect but the call would not terminate.

I placed the handset back on the cradle for a minute or two and lifted it once again to see if the call had disconnected.  This time I heard "the number you have called has not been recognised, please replace the handset and try again" - yet I hadn't made any calls except 1471.

Worried, I unplugged all the phones in my home, called Virgin Media via my mobile and tried to explain the situation to the Asian Call Centre handler - she tested the line and told me there were no obvious faults and informed that an Engineer would be booked to take a look.

This evening, I logged into my online Virgin account to see if I had been billed for the message I heard earlier on my phone. It appears account information only updates every 24hrs and so I won't actually know until tomorrow - what I have observed though is 12 previous calls, to very suspicious numbers using MY phone line - none of which I have made.  

I've just got off the phone with a second Call Centre Advisor and she reassured me that there was most probably a 'crossed line' and that once this has been confirmed by the Engineer, I will receive a refund of any costs incurred.

Rather than this being a simple case of 'crossed lines' with a general member of the public, looking at the numbers called and how very similar they all, it seems like this is the work of an organised gang or dodgy business - to date I'm only a few pounds out of pocket but when my contract is up, the landline is going..... end of!

Might want to take off that tinfoil hat to begin with, i've had a similar issue with a talktalk line, ancient equipment where water has leaked in to the box was the cause of my crosstalk, it did incur costs to me which they did refund, the tech for telephones hasn't really been changed in a very long time and will be a non-issue once proper VOIP has been added, so i would avoid the conspiracy theories at this point Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi tonyh4, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us although I am sorry to hear you've had so many issues Smiley Sad

Checking your account today I can see that the team have gone in to the account and put things right since posting here. Credits have been given for the charges and the crossed line has been resolved. 

Keep an eye on things and let us know if you have any further issues. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos