Menu
PeterRHills48
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Been with Virgin since NTL but even new customers have a better deal than existing ones?

Right, Just having rant or some sort, we've been with Yourselves (Virgin) since well, NTL and just curious to think that people who join you as a new customer have better benefits and still a cheaper rate even after the first 12 Months? i'm sure it states you pay like £86 or around that afterwards, but I'm not really fussed but after noticing a few friends who have recently joined and got pretty much top packages, still at a lower rate than myself. not complaining, the services is amazing, but for the packages we've had for well a few years and have been recently been able to upgrade our speed. which we started with under 10MB, to which we now have an incredible 70MB Smiley Surprised and not fussed about HD Channels, but still and to top it off, we end up paying roughly £130 a month for this! it's quite a lot for well i guess looking at it for a basic package but i guess thats all i wanted to say.  

Cheers,

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Been with Virgin since NTL but even new customers have a better deal than existing ones?

You sound like one of the many people who never bother to renegotiate their contracts. Once you are out of the initial contract period you end up on legacy packages that will continually increase in price. As with any other utility, the onus is on you to contact Virgin (the Retentions department is your best bet) & see what is on offer. Apart from the initial 6 months "joining" discount, all the packages advertised to new customers are available to existing customers, most of these complete with equipment upgrades.

Give them a call (150 option 4 then 5) & see what you could save.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

PeterRHills48
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Been with Virgin since NTL but even new customers have a better deal than existing ones?

Thank you for your very fast response, i never knew about that but it's nice to know now and will certainly do that right away, and i shall enquire! Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You are a bit late to call now.

Retentions operate Monday to Friday 8 till 8. Saturday 9 till 6.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
jasonu
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

new customer don`t no that there net is balls up 200 meg lucky getting 10-30 meg ,
virgin shop sales dont tell them naf all over the teck problems .
we offer best internet the letter i showed the new customers there got some walking was of the cisas and ceo ,
so my right to show any one that vm is trying to ripp people off ,

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

jasonu wrote:
new customer don`t no that there net is balls up 200 meg lucky getting 10-30 meg ,
virgin shop sales dont tell them naf all over the teck problems .
we offer best internet the letter i showed the new customers there got some walking was of the cisas and ceo ,
so my right to show any one that vm is trying to ripp people off ,

As with anything, your mileage may vary, i get my 200mbit Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I also get what I pay for. Actually I'm on 100Mb but I get 107Mb the majority of the time. Admittedly there are problems occasionally, but that is true of all ISP's

0 Kudos
Hel1
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'm in the same situation as yourself. Fed up with price rises so decided to cancel my xl TV package, keep 50 fibre broadband and upgrade phone to anytime calls. The retention department offered me all sorts of enticements to keep the TV package, including supplying me with a TiVo box covering the cost of activation etc. and giving me my second box (which I currently pay for) for free. On principle that VM don't automatically give existing customers the same deals as new customers I maintained my decision to cancel the TV. I was sent an email which should have detailed my new bundle of Anytime calls and 50 fibre broadband however the email was incorrect and in addition to the 2 services I had retained included XL TV and was priced a lot lower than I had been quoted for 2 services. I then had to spend another hour contacting VM to clarify their email and again I was offered deals to retain the TV package but strangely enough the prices quoted to me this time were different to the offers which had been made to me previously and none were as good as those available to new customers. I am now convinced that VM just make it up as they go and customers need to vote with their feet.

CiaranL
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

nodrogd wrote:

You sound like one of the many people who never bother to renegotiate their contracts. Once you are out of the initial contract period you end up on legacy packages that will continually increase in price. As with any other utility, the onus is on you to contact Virgin (the Retentions department is your best bet) & see what is on offer. Apart from the initial 6 months "joining" discount, all the packages advertised to new customers are available to existing customers, most of these complete with equipment upgrades.

Give them a call (150 option 4 then 5) & see what you could save.

18 months discount these days but most people accept that new customers get offered deals, it's the technology advances where long standing customers get the wrong end of the stick as they get left behind and get less content. Customers really should not need to keep calling up and negotiating new deals under the threat of leaving for Virgin to level the playing field somewhat.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If you don't contact them, VM consider you are happy with what you are paying. If you are not you will. The deals are out there on the web, & on your My VirginMedia account for you to look at, but they won't push you. They have several million customers on their books. Contacting all of them & offering new deals would cost a bomb in admin & all our prices would go up anyway. Also you should take a look at the amount of people on this forum complaining about unsolicited calls when VM do go pro-active in trying to get them to upgrade.