Menu
apfphoto
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ashford area fibre Cabling Help

Be warned if you do not already have virgin cable in your street you will soon and this is what to expect and if you do not believe me just type in google virgin media complaints and you will see numerous complaints saying all the same thing.

First off, when you contact Virgin directly you will be given a reference number and given the impression that you will be contacted by someone from Virgin but in actuality what happens is you will be passed off onto one of their contractors who is digging up your road.  Ours was very nice and listened to our concerns but do not be fooled this is just a smoke screen.  You will then contact your Borough Council and when you finally find someone who is in charge of the problem they will tell you it has nothing to do with them - it is to do with your county council.  When you finally get to someone who is in charge they will say that everything is carried out to certain specifications and the work is checked.  This is actually what happens

They will dig up your road (in our case a cul-de-sac) and your whole community will look like world war one battle field, trenches and fox holes everywhere, all nicely fenced off, streets awashed with mud.  Quite often you will be blockaded in or out of your house or any designated parking you have.  A fleet of diggers and trucks will descend upon your street from about 8.30am until 4.30pm. The noise from all their commotion, even with double glazing, becomes unbearable as each hour passes (it sounds a bit like a dock yard) and when their equipment is not making all the noise, eg diggers, saws, trucks (especially when reversing) you have the personnel who like to shout to each other with their colourful language.  They will give you prior notice if you are lucky and then will start earlier than advertised.  When you think they are done with your street they will leave and move to another street and do the same thing while leaving all the trenches and fox holes open with nice barriers all around them and there they will remain while they decimate the rest of your neighbourhood and I do mean your whole neighbourhood.  I am assuming that eventually they will put the nice little cable in all those trenches and fox holes and fill them in but I cannot tell you any more as our neighbourhood has been under siege for over a month and it is still ongoing by Sir Richard Branson and his Virgin Media group via the contractors that they hired.  If this is how they try and recruit new customers it certainly has not worked in our neighbourhood.  They would have to give us serious compensation and discount on their services before most of our neighbours would even consider taking out their services.    

As a side note, I am a shift worker which involves working nights, and the nature of my job requires me to be well rested (by law) due to the fact that I have so many lives at risk and when I say lives I mean hundreds of lives.  If I make a mistake there is a very real possibility that people will die.  When the question was asked if there were any provisions for people like me, eg accommodation away from the battle zone, they said no so I have been left in a situation where I have no alternative but to pay for accommodation to mitigate the above concerns.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ashford area fibre Cabling Help

hiya @apfphoto how they going to do the work without noise??, granted colourful language shouldn't be used but this is standard within the construction field, richard branson has NO control over virginmedia or how its ran, granted he has a few votes remaining with the small amount of share he owns, since NTL/Telewest just paid a lot of money to use the trade name, virginmedia is was bought by liberty global back in 2013 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21347814

as for the accommodation you think the water board/electricity companies would do the same if they are digging up the street unlikely, just have to grin and bare it like the rest of us.

also can you try and avoid creating duplicate posts, if you do create 1 by mistake, once posted if you notify a moderate they'll deal with it.

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I will agree there is a lot of hassle for a few weeks (most of us had this back in the mid 90's when the original networks were built). Its not new. In fact there is a lot less work involved than there used to be with the large diameter pipes put in for HFC (most of what is going in now is narrowtrench fibre build).

Also what we didn't have at the time was all the social media we have now, so people are more likely to complain publicly.

BT putting fibre in is also a lot of fun, with DSLAM boxes the size of a chest of drawers going up outside peoples houses.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi apfphoto, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. I'm really sorry to hear about the bad experience that you have had so far. 

When we start working in an area to lay cable, I will admit, it's not pretty. But in order to get the cables laid there are certain things we must do.

Don't worry as once finished, things will go back to how they were just with some new tarmac and new cables enabling you to get  services from us should you wish to join us. 

Once again I am sorry for the disruption and I'm sure the works will be finished before you know it Smiley Happy

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos