Menu
timberflake
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Are Virgin lying or telling the truth??

Hi guys, would appreciate the legal standpoint on this as I think Virgin are fibbing personally.

Every year our contract comes up for renewal and we have to do the inevitable dance with Virgin about re-negotiating our contract and trying to get the best deal.

It's gotten harder and harder with each year to get what we consider to be a good deal and has now gotten to the point where last year and this year we've had to actually cancel and then wait for the phone call from them willing to do a deal.

Now, the Virgin is in my girlfriends name, so as far as I'm concerned the contract is between Virgin and my gf, it's nothing to do with me. Every year we ring up, we always draw their attention to new customer deals and say we want as close to that, which of course they always say they can't do. The previous two years though we've said we'll leave and that I'll sign up as a new customer, to which Virgin respond that I can't do that, you have to wait 6 months??!

There's lots of situations where people may need to do this, if my gf and I broker up, or if it was a house share and the bill payer was moving out, so are Virgin lying or is it indeed written into the contract that if you cancel no one under the same roof can sign up for 6 months??

If that is the case, how would virgin know if I sign up that I've not simply moved to that address??

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Are Virgin lying or telling the truth??

if the contract is under your gf name for longer then 6 mouths you can rejoin virgin media can lie about somethings but your gf would have a new contract if it was signed over to her and over 6 mouths you can join up in your own name and it depends on your cridit rating if it is good they can't decine you signing up for a new contract or virgin media is playing hard with you or born lies to be honstly say just try joining up online and byepass the person on the phone saying crap

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
timberflake
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response, I think i get what you're saying, that they are lying! I'll just sign up as a new customer then and get it installed the day after my gf's contract ends!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sky have got wise to people pulling stunts like this, so I will imagine Virgin have too. Even if you leave & re-sign in 6 months, new customer deals are at the providers discretion, as you are classed as a returning customer, not a new customer.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
timberflake
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

But I wouldn't be a returning customer, I've never had a VM service in my name. How can a contract between VM and my gf extend to include me?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Nice idea, but

A) Your girlfriend would have to return all the existing equipment to Virgin & close the account, plus pay any disconnection charges.

B) You would then have to wait for new kit to be installed, & pay 2 months in advance.

If as you say the bill payer moved out you could simply transfer the account as long as you could prove you lived there with the Bill Payer, so a new account does not have to be automatic. Doesn't make you a new customer.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
timberflake
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

A) Your girlfriend would have to return all the existing equipment to Virgin & close the account, plus pay any disconnection charges.
We know this and there are no disconnection charges

B) You would then have to wait for new kit to be installed, & pay 2 months in advance.
Fine paying two months up front and waiting for installation to get a better deal. They wanted us to pay £200 up front on the 'deal' they were offering anyway

Looks like I'm signing up as a new customer then!
0 Kudos