Menu
Telewest
Dialled in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Any loyalty from Virgin for years long customers?

As a customer with Telewest then Virgin so being with them for over 17 years I have found that we long term customers are getting less of a deal as years go on.  ( VERY SAD & MAD )

In the past we got many types of deals that would mean that the longer and bigger the package the more of cut in price or a mix of upgrade and price cut ....

Now we are lucky to get £10 pounds of a deal and with the ever increasing prices a year or two and the deal is lost as I got a deal of £87 for my package of 3 TV boxes with Xl TV with sky films 200Mbps and phone only two years ago now I am paying £107 with the November prices ...

I have never been in debt all those years with all bills paid on the day needed and paid any extras with a card like I had to for the first HDR box at £299 before it was fix in my home  ..... yet I am look as just a number on a customer list

VM prices for new customers are always lower then older customers now and VM like other companies hide prices all over  the place so it takes us older customers hour or two to find the real price to each part of the service / package   WHY?

We should have a real price list of each item then any deals prices when added to another item so all customers can see the real prices ..

The list should look like this ...

TV Small = £   TV Medium = £  TV Large = £  TV Extra Large = £

TV extra channels    FILMS = £  Sport = £  Adult = £  Other channels = £ 

TV box = £     TV box fitting = £   extra Box = £

TV Package deal 1 = £   TV Package deal 2 = £    so on .........

Broadband  Hub = £    Fitting hub = £   Postage for self fix = £

Broadband Speed 1 ( Mbps ) = £      Speed 2 ( Mbps ) = £   Speed 3 ( Mbps ) = £

Broadband extra ? = £

Telephone >>>>>

Mobile Phone  >>>>>

Package Deal 1  ( list of items )  = £   Package Deal  ( list of items ) = £    and so on...

Monthly deals for customers  = £

Monthly deals for new customers = £

A list like above would help customer new and old to see the real prices to each item and costs of a package of they liking and can afford.

I also feel VM should not be able change any prices for that year of any package and changes to prices are fully put on price and date of starting so people know .

Prices for older customers like me should be held longer before they go up as we are the ones that keep the company going as we pay on time and help others on forums like this one to fix little troubles that all thinks have.

VM you have do better....

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Any loyalty from Virgin for years long customers?

This would normally be an issue for VM to comment on but your argument is so full of error that I can reply to it briefly.

VM do reward existing customers. Anything a new customer can get by way of a package at an advantageous price over existing packages is available to existing customers. The only thing you won't get is a new customer discount. Sky operate in the same way as do all the insurance companies, fuel companies , motor recovery services and the like.

VM don't price services individually because they sell bundles. The more you buy the cheaper the package is and the greater the discount over individual prices. And no sensible commercial organisation discloses how it provides discounts in a competitive market. To do so would be business suicide.

Fixed price contracts are not the norm in the industry. Some ISPs do them - so go to Talk Talk if you want that.

I've been with VM and all its predecessor companies since the start of cable TV in SW London in 1990 - 26 years. Pricing has always seemed fair to me. If I need a deal I negotiate as I do with almost every other utility and service provided to me in my home.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Hamrag
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I disagree completely.

I was sold a bundle which is now more expensive than the individual products. I queried it many times as I didn't want a phone line but every time was told it was in my best interests to have it and incur the charges.

VM never notified me that the products were later available outside of a bundle and so I've been overpaying for years. In other words, advising customers to pay for something they don't need in order to make a saving, pushing the price up but not making an appropriate reduction (or even a notification of that opportunity) when the pricing model was changed. To me that has a hint of the 'PPI scam' about it and is the type of thing that gets onto BBC's Watchdog program.

It's very obvious on the VM website that account changes are facilitated in the 'upgrade' direction, but please show me a page where it allows a customer to 'downgrade' an account. I've looked for it, I can't find it (the call centre told me there isn't one).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It would be useful if you could support your claim with detail.

You suggest that the bundle price for BB + TV + landline is greater than the sum of the standalone prices for each.

0 Kudos
Hamrag
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No, you're twisting my words.

I wanted TV+BB but I have an email from VM from 18/11/13 that told me that I qualify for a £21.50 discount if I take the bundle (phone as well, even if I don't use it). So based on that, that is what I did, it was called the 'Essential' collection at that time.

My monthly bill is £106.36 for Full House TV and BB 100Mbs and phone. I want FH-TV and 100Mbs BB which is currently offered (today) at £66. So somewhere down the line the compelling reason for me to have the bundle of all three (recommended by VM in Nov 13) because it was cheaper, disappeared. So I've been paying £40/month too much since whenever that pricing plan changed. If it was December 2013, then I've paid 3x12x40=£1440 too much.

So when was the pricing plan changed?, why didn't VM notify me of that change?, can I claim back £40 for every month since that change?

0 Kudos
Dave606
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

But whenever prices change or packages change in a way that means price rises, we ALL get pre notification letters informing us of such price rises and changes and offer us the chance to cancel our VM contracts or negotiate a new deal within a certain period.  Weather cheaper list price options are available with VM for the same thing is a non issue as such, it's up to the customer to call and negotiate and not VM to call there customers and negotiate for all there own customers to pay less.  

0 Kudos
Hamrag
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well, I agree with you in part;

• I have all of my documentation and I have several letters announcing price rises. None of those make any savings clear.
  • There no menu on the VM site that allows customers to downgrade
  • The absence of a downgrade facility means that customers cannot tailor their services to suit their budget and neither can they find out what savings they could make. (They can upgrade of course).

In my case I was sold a bundle that was 'in my best interest' due to a discount. That discount ended, there was no notification of that and I have overpaid ever since. Imho, there is very thin line between this practice and what these days is termed mis-selling.

Anyway, I called VM today and after a very long and unpleasant call (with an adversarial individual), obtained pricing which is more consistent with that presented on the VM website. In that call it was stated that;

• The longer a customer remains with VM, the more they will be charged, put another way loyalty is penalised
  • The term 'new customer' is modified to suit the situation. After 12 months a new customer is no longer classed as a 'new' customer. But a customer of >12 months is not however the 'same' as a customer of 24 months for example, the two will be charged different amounts

So I strongly advise anyone who is a VM customer to check their bills, look at the new customer pricing for the same products and determine by how much their loyalty is being penalised.

0 Kudos