Menu
marclm
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

£9.99 Activation fee on a SuperHub 3?

Can someone tell me why I have been charged £9.99 for a SuperHub 3 that you sent to try and fix a speed issue, that then screwed up my TP-link router settings and was then promptly reverted back to the SuperHub 2 AC? A charge that nobody said would be made when the person said they would send it out? Should I be sending in my bill for the time wasted reconfiguring my equipment and fault finding the issues caused by your equipment? Should I be claiming for the degraded speed caused by contractors severing a local fiberoptic cable, which nobody in the call centres knew about and only found out from the engineer visiting who explained would have accounted for my recent speed issues? #notimpressed.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: £9.99 Activation fee on a SuperHub 3?

Hi there marclm,

Thanks for posting and I am sincerely sorry for any inconvenience caused here.

I've sent you a private message for us to discuss this further.

You can locate my message by clicking on the envelope icon, located near the top right corner of the Community page.

Speak soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
zvonok
Superfast
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This is exactly why VM let themselves and customers down!

There is NO consistency in pricing!

I am awaiting a hub 3 delivery for upgrade to V200 but my installation fee £14:99!!!

It could be argued that I am installing it AND phoning you - so what am I paying for anyway!?!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The price was £9.99, but was recently increased to £14.99. The cost covers things like delivery and administrative fees.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
zvonok
Superfast
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply - 'understand that nothing is free' .. BUT next time in work must ask the boss for a near 50% pay increase! Thanks Shelke
0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Shelke wrote:

The price was £9.99, but was recently increased to £14.99. The cost covers things like delivery and administrative fees.

IF you have to pay this then make sure you order as much equipment as possible at the same time otherwise you will pay numerous fees.  So if you upgrade your hub and you have a V+ or VHD box get a Tivo at the same time.  That way you only pay once.  

0 Kudos
marclm
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Not only is there no consistency in pricing, there is no logic in it either! Whilst VirginMedia say you can have broadband without a Landline, it is cheaper to get it with a landline! When VirginMedia first took over installation and equipment was free (which as the equipment is theirs seems reasonable they should fit and provide it), then they started charging to install it and charged an activation fee. They then introduced the option of self-install for free, but then in creeps an activation fee again. When the old modems failed to get the 100mb speeds, they swapped them out for free for a SuperHub, but now for the latest SuperHub 3 (which in my opinion is full of unresolved issues and should never Hove left the test benches) you have to pay to have it sent out.

What got me was that it was VirginMedia's idea to send one out to see if it made a difference in the speed, and at no time was I told I was going to be charged to be sent it! Charging for their equipment to be sent out is one thing, but to be charged without being told is another!

I am so glad I have downgraded my services, as I just had an email saying the package I am on till the 18th September would be going up by £3.25. Which would have been the second increase on less than a year. They obviously don't care about losing customers, as it makes it clear in the email that if you don't like it you can leave without penalty, even if you're in contract!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

marclm wrote:
Not only is there no consistency in pricing, there is no logic in it either! Whilst VirginMedia say you can have broadband without a Landline, it is cheaper to get it with a landline! When VirginMedia first took over installation and equipment was free (which as the equipment is theirs seems reasonable they should fit and provide it), then they started charging to install it and charged an activation fee. They then introduced the option of self-install for free, but then in creeps an activation fee again. When the old modems failed to get the 100mb speeds, they swapped them out for free for a SuperHub, but now for the latest SuperHub 3 (which in my opinion is full of unresolved issues and should never Hove left the test benches) you have to pay to have it sent out.

Just be clear:

• There has been an manned install fee all the way back to the days of ntl and Telewest. 
  • When self-install was introduced this also came with a fee .
  • Where kit is required as part of a speed increase, there has been a fee charged. Depending for the reason it may have been the full install fee or a lower fee. But it was chargeable, and this has applied all the way back to the SuperHub 1.

With all of these there are always exceptions for various reasons. But they have existed for a long time.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
marclm
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It just proves the point on how inconsistent they are with charges... Before NTL when Cable & Wireless installed my parents original box, they did not get charged installation. When I first got my box with NTL, it was free installation and no activation fee. The two times I have moved house, there was no fee to install on either occasion from VirginMedia. When they upgraded my speed from 60mbs to 100mbs and the blue modem I had would not take it, they sent a SuperHub free of charge. My wife's cousin had self-install when it first came out, he had the option to pay £50 for an engineer or the self install was offered for free (May have been a trial/promotional offer) .

There have also been over the years plenty of offers for free installation for new customers and you used to be able to get a free installation if you spoke to the customer retention team too.

There is just no consistency, nor is there any advantage in being a loyal customer over new customers. For example, if I was a new customer for 200mbs broadband and landline, it would cost £32 a month for the first year (and get a £129 pair of wireless speakers thrown in) and then £45. I have just changed my services to this (taking off the £3.90 in call features) and been given £39.09 for the first 18 months, then £46.09 thereafter (not forgetting no free speakers!). That is with £7 loyalty discount applied, which the customer retention team member I spoke to had to get her manager to authorise!
0 Kudos
Darkstar1337
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I phoned six months ago to report problems with my XBOX One and these rubbish Superhub 2 routers, they confirmed it was a problem with this and to phone back in the future when the Superhub 3 comes out…………..I done that recently and was told I’d have to pay them £15 to activate it, like its my fault the SH2 was pants, why charge me for your mistake.

I’ve been with this comedy store since Nynex and this is how they treat loyal customers, like (censored)

0 Kudos