Menu
col8eral
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

£31 Charge for Moving to Virgin

I have just moved to Virgin from BT.  I was surprised to get a bill from BT for £31 for cancelling my broadband.  BT tell me the charge is levied because Virgin wont take part in the resale alliance whereby all operators waive the £31 - all that is except Virgin.  

Virgin never told me that I could expect this bill so I am disappointed in Virgin's performance.   Anyone else suffer this stealth bill, charged by their operators.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: £31 Charge for Moving to Virgin

It's the way they explain it.

Virgin Media have their own broadband network. Everyone else shares the BT Openreach network.

When you move between suppliers on the BT Openreach network, there's a £30 charge to disconnect one supplier and connect the new one. This charge is normally absorbed by the new supplier.

This charge is still levied by BT Openreach to disconnect your old supplier, although there is no re-connection to effect.

You have to foot this bill as it is actually your responsibility.

jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

BT would say that wouldn't they,

The £31 charge is to pay for openreach to disconnect your phone line. This has nothing to do with Virgin.

Virgin cannot join this "alliance" as they don't use the openreach network, they have invested in there own cables
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

bt and virgin media is two diff networks

This charge is still levied by BT Openreach to disconnect your old supplier, although there is no re-connection to effect.

You have to foot this bill as it is actually your responsibility not virgin media's i think you should readed more into moving providers in the frist place disconnection fees are your responsibility's not the new providers.
only the onces use bt openreach network will only pay upto £300 to take over contracts only with them i would say cut your loss with that disconnection fee i had the same with bt and plusnet and ee only a few now do pay your contract disconnection fee virgin media does not offer a contract disconnection fee to be payed.

to be honstly say cut your loss its only money that you waste on crap haha.

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
col8eral
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Whilst I'd rather not pay it, I'll glad pay in order to escape the clutches of BT.  I didn't have the best of experiences with BT and am looking forward to a better service with Virgin. 

jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Are Virgin missing a trick here, Im sure it would be a money spinner if virgin charge £31 to disconnect their service
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

i don't think virgin media will pay for someones disconnection fees from bt openreach network.
you lucky when you pass the contract with virgin media you only pay for 30 days ahead and it stays actice untill the last day and not to charge you £31 to disconnect their service it is crap pratice from bt can be more expeise in long run if the problems runs on your land and charge you £150 and virgin media does not charge you for this put it this way jb66 you very lucky you don't end up with this on your bill every time your power levels mess up i don't think they will do that becuse they do not run like bt and col8eral i had bad experiences with BT too put it this way i been on to bt about my speed about 8 months before they put me on wrong slot on the in green phone box and that was 2nd time that happened you think that bad ee is wrost they don't give two **bleep**s about your connection at all they just want your money and i only got 2mb download speed with a fibre connection i can't do anything i am still fighting for the connection fees not to be paid of bad service with them and ee still not have been paid single penny but put it this way virgin media you all lucky on they do care but hideing it

ps you will be lucky if they criedit your account with that disconnection fee from bt

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos