Menu
pmd1970
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

£200 + to cancel broadband

question, I have had to cancel my broadband with virgin media after only 3 months, im moving to a new area, unfortunately where im moving to they are not connected, for the privilege of this they want to charge me over £200 as now i have to cancel, i also have a mobile phone with virgin which is up for renewal in January, has anyone else had to pay this amount to cancel ( and no i wont be renewing my mobile with these bandits)?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: £200 + to cancel broadband

HI pmd1970,

There is an early disconnection fee to pay for contract's being cancelled during their minimum term. It caps at £240 normally. The £240 cap stops the customer having to pay back everything they owe. All ISPs have their own EDFs and some aren't willing to let a customer walk away without paying everything they owe.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
pmd1970
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shelke

I didnt want to cancel but if they are not in the area im moving to then they have to portion some of the blame, i wanted to stay, now because they are not in the area they are going to lose not only my broadband but my mobile when it expires in January....shame really

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi pmd1970,

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are moving to an area that isn't cabled and therefore we're not able to transfer your existing services over to the new property. 

When you sign up to a contract with us, you are agreeing for us to supply you with the services at that address for that time. As you are moving, you are technically breaking the contract. 

If you move to a cabled area, we are happy to transfer the services however this comes with a one off charge and a new 12 month contract. If you move to a non cabled area then we can set the account to cancel but this would invoke an early termination fee. 

You can speak to the team regarding the circumstances on why you're moving though as this could mean a smaller disconnection fee or a possible write off. You can speak to them on 150 / 0345 454 1111.

Let me know how the call goes.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos