Menu
Dunnone74
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

100mb upgraded to 200mb

I have recently upgraded from 100mb to 200mb but I'm not seeing any change,I don't quite understand,are we not getting what we are paying for or is this false advertising
Thanks Paul
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 100mb upgraded to 200mb

Are you trying out a speed test (via cable) to check the difference in speed ? - If so, what sort of results are you getting ?

Normally once you have upgraded the change in speed takes effect within about 30 minutes.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What devices do you have and are they capable of speeds above 100Mb?

For example, if you have an Ethernet connected computer, does it have a gigabit Ethernet adapter?

Dunnone74
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there and thanks for your reply,I'm testing the ping via wired cat 6 in fact almost everything in my house is now wired.
My latest results was hitting just over 90
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Are all of your devices connected directly back to the Superhub or via a switch ? - If via a switch is the switch gigabit ?

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
Dunnone74
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Not sure about the laptop it's over 5 years old now,but I'm hard wired straight to my amazon fire to box and I'm only getting 50 to 60
0 Kudos
Dunnone74
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The switch is a gigabit yes
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I believe the ethernet on the Amazon Fire TV box is only Fast Ethernet (maximum 100 Mbps) not Gigabit.  When you take into account overhead etc you wouldn't get near the 100Mbps maximum.  If the laptop is over 5 years old that may not be Gigabit either.

You would be best checking the network adapter on your laptop to see if it is Gigabit.  If it is that would be best using to check your internet speed.  If it is only fast ethernet then you wouldn't be able to achieve anything over around 90Mbps anyway - let alone 200Mbps.

-

Dunnone74
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ok thanks for your info,maybe upgrading to 200 is a waste of money then for my set up,unless it improves the rest of the families mobile devices
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To be honest (although I might be wrong) I don't think you would get the full 200Mbps speeds on your mobile devices.

The two devices you mentioned don't sound as though they are Gigabit so you are only going to get a maximum of 90Mbps anyway.

-

Dunnone74
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Your right I've already checked,the max mobiles etc can get is 90,also just checked my fire tv 4K box on google and it does say it has a gigabit Ethernet port
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 12 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK.  I didn't realise you had one of the 4K boxes.  In that case yes, that does have a gigabit ethernet port.

Is it possible to connect the Amazon box directly into your Superhub (bypassing your switch) ? - This could rule out a potential issue with the switch.

-

Dunnone74
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes I will try that when home from work tomorrow,good idea,and if then I'm not getting more than 90 could it be my router (hub 3.0)
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 14 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It is possible, but as I say it sounds as though out of all of your devices it is only going to be your Amazon Fire 4K TV box that is going to achieve anything higher than around 90 Mbps.

For that the 100Mbps package should be more than adequate.  You may want to consider moving back to this plan.

Hope this has helped.

-

Dunnone74
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks very much for your time and help 👍
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 16 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No worries at all - Glad to have been of some help.

Please feel free to give some kudos by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my replies.

-

backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 18 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm not familiar with the Amazon Fire TV 4K device myself but I did a Google search last night and that is where I saw it had a Gigabit connection.

I've just checked again now on the official Amazon website and you are correct - It is indeed only a 10/100 ethernet port.  See:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Fire-TV-Streaming-Media-Player-x/dp/B00UH2O6T2

This would explain why you are only getting the speeds you are getting.  There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with your connection, it is just your devices are not able to deal with the higher speeds.

-

backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 20 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No, there wouldn't be a way to change the fast ethernet port on the Fire TV device to gigabit.  The only way would be to replace this device with another TV device that is gigabit.  You shouldn't really need anything above 100Mbps though for a TV streaming device.

-

All Replies
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Are you trying out a speed test (via cable) to check the difference in speed ? - If so, what sort of results are you getting ?

Normally once you have upgraded the change in speed takes effect within about 30 minutes.

-

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What devices do you have and are they capable of speeds above 100Mb?

For example, if you have an Ethernet connected computer, does it have a gigabit Ethernet adapter?

Dunnone74
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there and thanks for your reply,I'm testing the ping via wired cat 6 in fact almost everything in my house is now wired.
My latest results was hitting just over 90
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Are all of your devices connected directly back to the Superhub or via a switch ? - If via a switch is the switch gigabit ?

-

Dunnone74
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Not sure about the laptop it's over 5 years old now,but I'm hard wired straight to my amazon fire to box and I'm only getting 50 to 60
0 Kudos
Dunnone74
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The switch is a gigabit yes
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I believe the ethernet on the Amazon Fire TV box is only Fast Ethernet (maximum 100 Mbps) not Gigabit.  When you take into account overhead etc you wouldn't get near the 100Mbps maximum.  If the laptop is over 5 years old that may not be Gigabit either.

You would be best checking the network adapter on your laptop to see if it is Gigabit.  If it is that would be best using to check your internet speed.  If it is only fast ethernet then you wouldn't be able to achieve anything over around 90Mbps anyway - let alone 200Mbps.

-

Dunnone74
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ok thanks for your info,maybe upgrading to 200 is a waste of money then for my set up,unless it improves the rest of the families mobile devices
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To be honest (although I might be wrong) I don't think you would get the full 200Mbps speeds on your mobile devices.

The two devices you mentioned don't sound as though they are Gigabit so you are only going to get a maximum of 90Mbps anyway.

-